Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » HELP, OLD CONTACT PROBLEMS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP, OLD CONTACT PROBLEMS
concerned404
Neophyte
Member # 40413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned404     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I cheated on my boyfriend because of terrible, confusing circumstances many months ago (alone, long distance, relationship problems, suave compatible stranger). In the whirlwind afterward, I was still in contact with the person with whom I cheated because I had convinced myself (wrong!) that I loved him and had something special with him (I now think reality was closer to delusion and stockholm-esque thinking).

After I got my wits about me, thanks to LOTS AND LOTS of counseling for major depression,(this took several months) I told my boyfriend about what had happened, and he forgave me. Our relationship in the meantime and since then has been great, and we'll probably end up getting married someday.

I was in contact with the other person because I was confused and, ironically, didn't want him to feel used (even though he was the one who pressured me). I had broken off contact with the person with whom I had cheated and told him how badly off I was, how depressed I was, and how my psychologist thought breaking off contact would help me deal with this.

And I started feeling MUCH better. Still feel sick and terrible about the whole thing, but at least making progress.

BUT today the guy I cheated with contacted me via email (just saying he misses me), and I don't know what to do. I think I should just ignore it. But on the other hand, I am VERY tempted just to write "Please do not contact me, for my wellbeing." I'm afraid if I don't acknowledge that he sent something he'll send me letters or do something like forward the emails or letters I sent to him to my boyfriend (the one I cheated on and who has since forgiven me).

My boyfriend knows that I was really wrong-headed when all of that happened and after that, but he didn't know the extent to which I was in contact with that person after all of it (by the time I told him, I had severed contact, though).

I told the other guy a lot of things I didn't mean and was confused about, because he kept pressuring me by sending me really lovey-dovey post cards and saying that the last girl he hooked up with just abandoned him and used him. I was really stupid and said things I shouldn't have because I was confused (like "I love you" and "our connection is really special"). Ugh, we got along, but I was really confused and messed up. The whole thing disgusts me and I am really ashamed, but now I am trying to move forward and I need to figure out how to handle this most recent contact. HELP PLEASE!

Posts: 17 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned404
Neophyte
Member # 40413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned404     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And, to clarify a bit, I've been struggling to figure out whether I was raped or not, because there was definitely coercion involved; I verbally consented but I think it was probably obvious that I wasn't totally there. That guy pursued me aggresively at a time when he KNEW I was very vulnerable (because we had talked about how rough a time I was having with work, being alone, and with my bf). But, I was also guilty of spending time with him and confiding in him even though I knew how interested he was, so its definitely a borderline case. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] All in all, I have been and am moving on, but the fact that he contacted me is bringing back a lot of anxiety, unhappiness, and profound guilt and shame.
Posts: 17 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.