Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Girlfriends Parents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girlfriends Parents
edg3
Neophyte
Member # 46261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edg3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me start off by saying I love my girlfriend to death. We've been dating for a year and four months. I'm 16 and she's 15, in the same grade. Since lastyear she's had problems with her grades. At the start of this school year her parents said she has to get all b's and a's or we can't be together. She Nd her parents are Indian so they come off as a lot stricter than American parents. Well, about a mont ago she was grounded for grades. We could still talk and after a month everything went back to normal. However, just last night we noticed her grades. Apperantely her mom noticed before and made a counceling appointment. She always does her home work but she fails her tests. She's failing because her parents forced her into classes above her comfort level. She is now not allowed to talk or see me ever they said. She texted me about 2 and a half hours ago and that's the last I've heard. What do I do? They may pull her out of school and home school her. She's the love of my life and means everything to me.
Posts: 6 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you're both going through this.

Unfortunately, right now, it doesn't sound like there is likely anything you CAN do.

Do you see her in school? If so, one thing I'd suggest to support her is for her to go and see the school counselor. Your relationships aside for now, if she's being pushed into classes above the level she can handle and thus, failing, that's a terrible situation for her, and one which a school counselor will want to rectify: no teacher or administrator wants to see a student fail.

That counselor is also someone she can talk to about the whole of this situation.

Are your parents supportive of the relationship? have they ever met her parents?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edg3
Neophyte
Member # 46261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edg3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents both love her. They know her parents but they too think that some of what they do is over the top. I'm going crazy not being able to talk to her, normally I talk to her all the time. I can't get this of my mind
Posts: 6 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible your parents might be willing to call or see her parents and talk with them?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edg3
Neophyte
Member # 46261

I'm not sure, i think my mom will be against it since it all just happened.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, how about you start by talking with them about it to see?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

edg3
Neophyte
Member # 46261

I'm afraid if i contact her parents it will just make everything worse. I really have no clue what to do at all.
Heather
Member # 3

I didn't suggest you contacted her parents: I suggested you talk first to YOUR parents.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

edg3
Neophyte
Member # 46261

Oh, sorry, I talked to my mom and she said that there's nothing i can do, and that she thinks they'll let her talk to me eventually because they did last time. That's pretty much all she said to me.
Heather
Member # 3

Might your Mom and/or Dad be willing to have a dinner with them about all of this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

edg3
Neophyte
Member # 46261

They probably will be willing to do that

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.