Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » different values.. but I like him!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: different values.. but I like him!
antsy
Neophyte
Member # 45527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm 19, and I've never been on a date ever and other than drunk guys I've never really been hit on. So today when I was at a pharmacy buying gummy bears the (really hot) cashier really started flirting and I ended up giving him my #. So we ended up having coffee later that night and it was awesome we talked forever and then left and drove around and talked some more, really great. He didn't do all those nice old fashioned things like come to the door, or open the car door for me, but w/e I can live without those things. The things that really bothered me are that he smokes (cigs and pot) and drinks. a lot. I'm completely straightedge. I have no problem with other people doing these things, but I don't do them. but now it's kind of like, well, do I want to be with someone who does? But I REALLY REALLY like him. he's really hot (not exactly sure what he sees in me), he's funny, smart (in college), artistic, supernice, earnest, analytical (like me), and did I mention I really really really like him? and he likes me?
Posts: 6 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is always a tough call, and there's never going to be any one right answer.

For instance, I'm vegan. And while in one way, it can be really ideal if I can date other vegans or vegetarians, I've also done just fine dating plenty of omnivores. I don't get on well, or find it a good fit, with those who don't get where I'm at with it, or who don't respect my position and try to be sure they're not stepping on my toes, though. For instance, someone who can't stop calling animals delicious, or who refuses to even try and understand why i make MY choices, not good. On the other hand, someone who gets it, who tries to be respectful (like not eating a lot of meat right around me, or taking me to the butcher shop with them), then okay.

So, you have to figure out, or see, maybe after a couple more dates, if this does or doesn't feel like a good fit for you.

However, you say he drinks " a lot." So, by all means, if this person is actually alcoholic, that's an entirely different issue than if you don't drink and he does. Know what I mean?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antsy
Neophyte
Member # 45527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he's an alcoholic. He just talked about it a bit. I'm gonna go over and hang out with him for a bit today, so we'll just see what happens.
Posts: 6 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antsy
Neophyte
Member # 45527

so I really really like this guy, but because I work with children and so am not allowed to ever smell like smoke, not to mention what happens if he gets caught while I'm with him, it's best if I just don't see him anymore. This is really hard for me though, because I really like him. We have plans for tomorrow and when he drops me off I'm just gonna have to let him know. or maybe over dinner? I don't know and I'm so worried cause I don't want to hurt him.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.