Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » An LDR where her parents don't like me, and a power struggle. It's worth it, IMO.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An LDR where her parents don't like me, and a power struggle. It's worth it, IMO.
InsanityRefined
Neophyte
Member # 43808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InsanityRefined     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen,

I am an 18-year old college freshman male living roughly an hour away from my 18-year old college girlfriend. Our relationship is very rocky right now because she feels like she is doing all of the work in the relationship. Her parents do not like me, nor do they know about the relationship. She feels like since I am the one who has to leave (she stays at home with parents and goes to CC), that it gives me free reign to do whatever I want. That I essentially cannot do anything but love, come, go, and support.

I cannot help her relationship with her parents. She tells me that she has had to lie to so many people and use her friends in order to cover up our relationship but I don't have to do anything. We believe we are very much in love with each other. The root of this problem, I feel, are the parents who do not support her and do not like me as a person. Her father is abusive and her mother is ignorant to her.

In turn, her having to do so much has led to a power struggle between us which in turn has led to her developing negative feelings towards me. She feels like she is torn between two people, and that it feels like she is dating two different people. We have been squabbling for months and it feels like we are not the people we fell in love with. What can/should we do to stay together?

Posts: 12 | From: CA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Insanity,

Welcome to Scarleteen! [Smile] It sounds like this situation is very unfortunate and difficult. I'm sorry that her parents are so against the relationship and that her home life is abusive. Based on what you have written here and especially based upon what you listed in the Abusive Partner Checklist, this relationship is not just unhealthy but clearly abusive. While what you do is ultimately your decision, I don't feel comfortable giving suggestions on how you can stay together when staying together is bad for both of you. I don't mean to seem judgmental or critical but just matter-of-fact: I do care about you and her, be it from afar and as a stranger, but this is a really hard place for you two to be in.

I believe the long-term solution would be for her to find ways to move out of home and in with some roommates (her community college may not have on-campus housing but plenty of students live together in apartments and more are looking for new housemates) and work on her independence. Once she's worked on creating a life away from her parents, where she is free to live as she desires, she'll have a chance to work on her own behavior and reactions. I would encourage her to seek counseling for dealing with her home life, for her own benefit, and also if she should wish to continue the relationship. We do not recommend people stay with abusive partners; however, if both partners really do want to continue the relationship, it's pretty essential for the abusive partner to go into therapy to reflect upon and change abusive patterns.

I realize that's probably not the answer you want but it's where I'm coming from, what's in line with our site mindset. As I said, it's up to you but please consider these things. I am going to link some articles that you may find interesting that are related to your situation:
Blinders Off:Getting a Good Look at Abuse and Assault
Potholes & Dead Ends: Relationship Roadblocks to Look Out For
Safer Sex...for Your Heart
To Be... AWESOME or Just Be –– Tips on Making the Most of Your Life Right Now!

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InsanityRefined
Neophyte
Member # 43808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InsanityRefined     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ecofem,

I've taken a look and posted in the Abusive Partner Checklist thread with my personal checklist. I've apparently checked off 4 of these things. I want this relationship to continue. I know that her family stresses are getting in the way of her judgement because I'm pretty much all that she has. Her family life is ruined, her friends are wary of her, and all she has to look forward to is getting out of school. She still doesn't know if it'll be worth it to stay in the relationship.

Our relationship was not always abusive. I have looked at the "Blinders Off" article and realized that now our relationship is abusive but it was simply leading up to it. We're tearing ourselves apart and we don't want that to happen to each other.

[ 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: InsanityRefined ]

Posts: 12 | From: CA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.