Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » confused by two seemingly straight guys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: confused by two seemingly straight guys
recidivist4love
Neophyte
Member # 43972

Icon 11 posted      Profile for recidivist4love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this really cool biker dude. I told him recently I'm gay, and he's totally fine with it. He has a girlfriend and I completely respect that, so I never hit on him. I have had this really huge crush on him for the longest time, and have told others about my crush on him. I think it got back to him, but he seems really okay with it. Lately I have been getting attention from a young hottie, I told this young guy that I'm gay and he's fine with it as well. I have great respect for these two. Recently I had an interesting occurance. The young hottie called me to him to chat, and the hot biker guy immediately whipped around to watch us. He usually plays it cool when he's around me but this time it seemed like he was jealous this hot young guy was talking to me. How can I tell if this guy is jealous?

--------------------
Paul Smith

Posts: 1 | From: AZ | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, welcome to Scarleteen! [Smile]

It sounds like he may or may not be jealous but my question for you is: Why do you want to know if he is or isn't?

A person can be jealous for many reasons: it can be because someone has a romantic/sexual attraction and feels that way or because someone likes the platonic attention or company or someone. Likewise, you can have the reverse where people have those feelings or attractions and aren't jealous at all. And humans tend to be pretty curious creatures by nature; we often are interested in our friends' dating lives even if we're not interested in our friends sexually or romantically but because we're friends.

If you're using this as a way to figure out if you do have a chance with the biker guy or not because you want to date him, I'd recommend you look for more direct ways rather than "signs." I believe that sexual orientation is quite fluid with most people being somewhere on the spectrum between being "entirely" heterosexual or homosexual. However, the bottom line is that some people are available and interested in dating and others aren't. If he's in a monogamous relationship with his girlfriend and wants to keep it that way, then regardless of his sexual orientation he's going to want that relationship. There could be potential he is interested in you but there are so many other factors at play.

However, for all the possible "signs" we could interpret and what have you, I think the best way to figure this out is to be direct. *If* you're really that interested in dating him, you could always just tell him. Something like, "I have assumed that you were straight and I know you're in a committed relationship and I respect that; however, I just wanted to say that I do like you to get it out there. Again, I respect your situation but I did want to finally just tell you." And then you leave it up to him. Doing so can have pros and cons but I believe it's really the best way to go if that's what you're interested in. Not to assume but I do get the impression that's what you're looking for there. [Smile]

[ 09-04-2009, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.