Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Mixed Signals?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mixed Signals?
CatsRock^_^
Neophyte
Member # 42136

Icon 9 posted      Profile for CatsRock^_^     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm feeling really weird about this situation that happened to me today and I'm not sure how to approach it.
One of my coworkers started kind of flirting with me before summer last semester, and had started the same behavior when we came back for training a couple weeks ago. I kind of blew the flirting off because she acted the same way around other people.
Today during one of breaks she asked if I would ever consider going out with her and I freaked, mumbled maybe and then fled for my room.
I'm afraid I might have been sending her mixed signals, and because I choose not to have a sexual orientation attached to myself I may have made it seem like I was open to a same sex relationship. I used to identify as bi, but in the last couple months I've been feeling more and more straight, and I don't really want a relationship at all right now, and I also am not feeling like I want to be with another
girl at this point in my life.

So now not only am I having all these thoughts about who I desire relationships with, and at work we've had two very heavy days of social justice training that have brought up some really icky stuff for me so now I'm feeling pretty upset, and now I have to deal with not hurting this girl who put herself way out on a line to ask me out in a heterosexual world. I just don't know how to respond to her, and not come off as "I'm sorry but I'm straight, so no thanks".

[ 08-14-2009, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: CatsRock^_^ ]

Posts: 5 | From: NorCal | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vshanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi CatsRock!

I think you have a complete right to assert your boundaries, regardless of the fact that this woman is of the same biological sex as you. It sounds like you are a very kind person because you don't want to hurt her, but you also need to look out for yourself and be vocal about your needs and limits. If her flirting is making you feel uncomfortable, then that is completely valid. You don't need to put up with it just because you want to be polite and not hurt her feelings.

--------------------
Vanessa

I believe in the radical possibilities of pleasure, babe...
I do, I do, I do.

Posts: 140 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this situation, I think I would try to just treat her as a person who asked you out, regardless of gender. Don't make it a thing of that she's a woman, but more a thing of that you're not interested in a relationship with her.
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.