Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Talking with Mom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Talking with Mom
OxygenThief
Neophyte
Member # 41433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OxygenThief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been with my boyfriend for over 3 years, and we've been having (safe) sex for 2+ years. I had been keeping this a secret from my parents - partially because it was really only my business, because I'm of age and we were safe, and partially because I was afraid of them being disappointed in me - but lately it started bothering me to keep it from my mother, because we're very close and have few secrets between us.

Last weekend I finally told her, and it went better than I expected. She wasn't mad or disappointed, and I'm very relieved to have gotten it out in the open. However, I'd like to be able to leave that channel open to talk more about sex openly and honestly with her, and I'm afraid she'd feel too uncomfortable to talk about it with me any further. What is appropriate to talk about with my mom, and how do I broach the subject?

Posts: 3 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she's been receptive so far, I don't see any reason to keep those channels restricted.

In other words, it sounds like she's okay with what you've told her so far. You've knocked down a big communication barrier, and though it might be a little awkward for a bit, the hard part is over. The wall isn't going to go back up, you know?

Really, what is too much or too little is going to be decided by your relationship with your mom. Do YOU feel comfortable talking to her about these things? If so, a simple "Hey mom, I felt really relieved to be able to tell you about my sex life the other day, but I want to make sure I can talk to you about sex in general", or something like that, could work fine.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OxygenThief
Neophyte
Member # 41433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OxygenThief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a good opener. We're really open and honest about most things; sex has just never been a huge topic of discussion in our house. I've talked about it with my older sister in the past, but she's out of the country so it's harder to talk with her about things. I'm just unsure of how to approach this since, obviously, it's the first time I've attempted to talk about my own sex life with my mom.
Posts: 3 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.