Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » what should i do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what should i do?
aussieboy
Neophyte
Member # 39962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aussieboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi,
im 17 in a a few months and i have feelings for a girl who is only 13 she has been a family friend for a long time, i have tried to ignore my feelings but its not easy, i can't stop thinking about her

i have not said anything to her yet and i don't know if i should.

any advice would be apreciated

[ 08-23-2008, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: aussieboy ]

Posts: 4 | From: perth | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aussieboy
Neophyte
Member # 39962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aussieboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bump
Posts: 4 | From: perth | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The age of consent in Australia is 16. So were you to do anything with her would be illegal. It might also jeopardize the friendship.

I'd sit on these feelings for a little longer. If you still feel this way when she is 16, then by all means, go for it. But until then, maybe you can keep them under wraps.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like a tricky situation. I agree with Amanda, though, especially when teenagers are at very different stages of development during their teenage years, both mentally and physically. When we are younger, age gaps seem a lot bigger than when we get older because we are growing so much during these crucial years.

Also, if you truly care about her, you have to consider how this will impact her as well. She may feel even more confused than you are now. Since she is younger, she may feel intimidated or vulnerable as well. These are all things to consider, and because you are older, you are responsible for thinking about not only your own actions, but how they will affect her (and you'd be responsible legally, should anything happen between you are her).

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aussieboy
Neophyte
Member # 39962

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Koi:
This seems like a tricky situation. I agree with Amanda, though, especially when teenagers are at very different stages of development during their teenage years, both mentally and physically. When we are younger, age gaps seem a lot bigger than when we get older because we are growing so much during these crucial years.

thats one of the things that makes it so frustrating, i mean theres allmost 5 years between my parents but for them its fine but when it comes to me its not right just makes it so hard to figer out what to do.

i dont even know if she likes me so i could just be waisting my time anyway

[ 08-24-2008, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: aussieboy ]

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but how old were your parents when they met/decided to get married? You have to think about maturity level too--not just mental or physical maturity, but emotional as well. The difference between a 17 yr old and a 14 yr old is much larger than a 25 yr old and a 20 yr old.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it can help to think about age per yourself: what were you like at 13? A little different than you are at 17 or a lot?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aussieboy
Neophyte
Member # 39962

i was alot different when i was 13 then i am now, but i had alot of problems when i was younger so it is hard to tell wether that was just me or not

and ASargent42,
i think my mum was 21 when they got married wich would have made my dad about 25 or 26

[ 08-25-2008, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: aussieboy ]

Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that there is a big difference between a 13 year old and 17 year old dating versus 21 and 25. I can assure you that you are not the only one who felt completely different at 13 than at 17. I know I had a 180 view on life. My philosopohy on life has changed (I don't even think I knew what philosophy was back then). Plus, at 13. I know that I was just getting comfortable with my body, and I had a lot of insecurities-I needed time to do some inner reflection before becoming more confident with who I was. Now, if a much older person stepping into the picture, wouldn't it be difficult for someone younger, more vulnerable, to take in? I know it would be a lot for me.

Since you are older, you would be responsible. And know that if anything did happen between the two of you, there are probably a lot of people who would disprove. You could possibly jepordize a long-time friendship and have to deal with the judgement of others. Things to consider.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.