Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Inquistive Boyfriend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inquistive Boyfriend
jahde
Neophyte
Member # 38313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jahde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my bf and I have been friends for awhile (3years) and we recently got back together.However I find him to be a little too nosy. When I came home from college, he came over and took up my journal and proceeded to read it. I took it from him, and after he realized I was upset about it he started to say things like "how would you feel, if I had a journal and wouldn't let you read it?" in an attempt to make feel guilty, truth is if he had a journal I wouldn't want to read it if he gave it to me, I believe everyone is entitled to their privacy. Eventually I gave it to him God knows why, I knew I had nothing to hide there was nothing in there I hadn't told him before. I just wanted something for myself you know.

Anyhow, he gets like this a lot he gives me the impression that because we're a couple I have no right to my privacy, he just can't understand that its not about him and not trusting him its about keeping some things to myself. There are things I can't tell him right away but I do tell him eventually when the time is right or when I'm ready. I just need him to understand that I need some privacy too.

Posts: 16 | From: Georgia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you need to draw a very hard line with this and nip this stuff in the bud NOW if you're going to get involved again.

He invaded your privacy completely and then not only did what he wanted anyway, he wouldn't be at all accountable for invading your privacy. That isn't about being inquisitive: that's about having no respect for you having a self and life that he does not get to have all of, or have based on his wants, not your boundaries.

It's up to him to recognize that this isn't about a lack of trust. If he hasn't figured that out by now or at least recognized that is something he needs to work on, I'd say that's a red flag. I'd be clear with him that what happened the other night is not okay, can't happen again, and that if you two are going to be back together, HE needs to recognize that not allowing a partner privacy is a problem he needs to acknowledge and start working to deal with himself. I'd also require for a commitment from him to do just that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68032 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In any relationship, there are boundaries, whether we define them or not. However, if we talk them out, the boundaries are less ambiguous, which means less chance for tension. This seems like a good time to talk to your boyfriend about why this situation hurt you, and broaden the discussion about how your relationship will work in all aspects, such as time with friends, time together, time alone, etc. What you wrote in the second paragraph sounds like a good explanation of your feelings, so perhaps you could start with something like that. Check out Supermodel: Creating & Nurturing Your Own Best Relationship Models for other ideas on what to discuss.

If he does not want to listen, or tries to dismiss what you say as nonsense, then he is not being respectful of you, and it's your decision whether you want to spend time with him or not.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.