Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Interracial Dating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interracial Dating
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do some of you think of interracial dating ?

And not to be prejudice toward this subject and that I know everyone is different and have their own preferences, but what color people attract you ? Do you like caucasins/whites or blacks or asians or latinos or europeans or indians ....?

I prefer asian and white and black women. And I'm not saying that I don't prefer anyone less but I'm just telling you what I like.

What's yours ?
antonio99

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PequeñaMami
Neophyte
Member # 2719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PequeñaMami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, basically it depends on what you think of the races. Personally, I love all races, cuz I'm of mixed ethnicities. I've been down the colour line and back - I just never had a white, Indian or Chinese boyfriend before. My special preference is latino boys cuz they have a little somethin about them, plus I got a lot of Puerto Rican and Dominican in me. But a lot of times people feel they should only stay in there race. That ain't true, cuz look at a lot of people around you. Most of them ain't one main race, anyway. And everyone has a little mixture in em. But whatever you choose, more power to ya!

------------------
Kim AKA PequeñaMami

Posts: 18 | From: Mt. Vernon, NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks mami,

I agree... and since everyone is different we all have our own choices. Some people prefer to stay in the same race... however, it doesn't matter to me. Any color is fine ... but asian and white women are the top of my list. I have asian blood but some girls of different races in my school find me attractive as well coz that's what they said.

Peace
antonio99

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think skin color should be the last thing you look at. It's the person within that makes you fall for them, not their color nor looks.

As long as the guy treats me like a princess, I'm ok with him.

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
2001 Homecoming Princess
"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."
"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any preferances to a certain race, as long as we can respect each other.

But that's how I see it. If I brought a black person home, my father would freak. He's constantly says he's not racist, but it's hard to believe when, as he says, "all black men are drug dealers and homeless". So, I guess as long as I'm at home, my choices are rather limited .

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate pink. My dad and grandma are very stereotype when it comes to dating. My dad almosted cried when he found out that my boyfriend was black. He thinks they are all drug dealers, drug users, gang members ect. It kinda bites.

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
2001 Homecoming Princess
"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."
"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

well, wouldn't you blame it on hollywood ? I don't believe blacks are just drug dealers and gangsters.

and sorry about some of ya having those kind of stereotype parents. I would say it's awfully painful having limited freedom.

When I look at hollywood, I see the movies they make. So far and so good haven't you known that most black movies are about gangsters and guns ? now look at the asians ? It's going the same way too except that they're using asians for fighting and martial arts. Bam.. boom bam... take for example, RUSH HOUR ( starring jackie chan and chris tucker. ) it's black and asians.
How about ROMEO MUST DIE ? ( again.. it's black and asian ). The blacks do the cool stuff but the asians kick *** .

Sounds simple ? yeah .. it's what i call stereotype.

and not to mention it but in my college i have some asians here who act like black. Sometimes I wonder where are their individuality ? As for me, I just dress casual. My style is just being me and dressing nice like a mature guy..

and oh.. by the way...I know some martial arts... taekwondo and karate and kung fu.

So you better watch out.

antonio99

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You dont see too much interracial dating, I mean we see some but not that many. For some people it was how they were brought up. And for some it might be a sin to date out of your race.

Personally I say if you are happy, and they treat you right then go for it. You health and happyness is the most important thing for yourself.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

and oh yeah... it's easier said than done
to think of all kinds of stereotypes:

Blacks were made fun of their skin color.

Asians were made fun of their language.

Mexicans were made fun of their lack of knowledge.

Blondes were made fun of their no brain but have beautiful bodies.

and so forth...

I don't entirely believe all this is true.

they're stereotypes.

antonio99

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People do get racist for stupid reasons, even when blacks talk werid people get funny about it. Its not called for, everyone has there own culture and their own way of doing things. The world today isnt as bad as it used to be thou.........

But its still screwed up!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

I agree glittergrl...

the world today is much better than it was long time ago.

I know interracial dating is not so widespread out here... but you just don't see many, I guess.

however, some would believe that it's the clash in culture...

but i believe, like you said, it's the happiness that counts.

anyways, I'm going home.

take care
antonio99

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm in an interracial relationship. i'm asian and my boyfriend is white. at my universities, asians make up a plurality of the population. so a white guy dating an asian girl isn't strange, it's cliche!

personally, i do not have a racial pref. i can find attractive qualities in all colors. but it's been coincidental that i've only dated white and asian guys, 'cause i've had crushes on all sorts.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

gumdrop girl..hey...
i didn't know you were asian. I'm asian too. I'm thai and you are ?

anyways, enjoy your date with your bf. I feel the same way about you too. I prefer white and asian girls. But in my college, it's usually white and white or black and black or asian and asian.

Not many interracial dating here.

And what college are you from ? and what state ?

antonio99

emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't really think much about interracial dating. i dunno...it just really doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

i do have to say, though, that in terms of my own personal taste, i think some of the prettiest people are of mixed ethnic origin(i forget how to say that so it's politically correct). you know, half asian, african-asian, half african, half latino. i don't know why. it's not universally true. maybe they just catch my eye because they're sort of unusual where i live.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

oh yes.. emily.. I agree with you...
I think people of mixed ethnic are extremely beautiful..

I've seen girls of half white and half asian..
and black/asian and spanish/white..
and all kinds..

they catch my eyes man..
ALL THE TIME !

antonio99

mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"and not to mention it but in my college i have some asians here who act like black. Sometimes I wonder where are their individuality ? .." Antonio said....

I must ask, Antonio. How does one "act black". THIS is prejudice. Their individuality? Must all racial and ethnic groups define themselves by their style of dress and dialect of language? Hardly...One cannot "act black" anymore than one can "act white" or "act purple".

Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

you know what I hate ? when it comes to quoting, that's the only way to prove what one person said was either wrong or naive or just plain stupid.

mamalii, don't get me wrong but I'm not prejudice. I'm not against the asian guys for acting black. I said that as a fact that their attitude resembles black people in my college. And it's true. Their voice matches like them and they use slang terms. They walk like their shoulders are swinging sideways like a monkey.

This does not account true for EVERY asian or black individual in my college. Some of them are very unique and nice and even special.

It does not annoy me either, but by looking at them like that I can sense what they have been through. If it was from peer pressure to low self-esteem, then i agree that they have reasons for being who they are. NOt me judging for what they are NOT.

antonio99

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
emsily: the term is biracial, multiracial, etc. and specifically, the term "hapa" refers to half asian people.

antonio, i'm thai as well and i am at uc berkeley.

personally, i don't like stereotypes because i am the sort of person who will act completely contrary just to throw the status quo for a loop.

as for asians who supposedly act like they're black, i don't think it's black per se. rather, i think it's the embracing of the hip hop identity, which some people believe is awkward in anybody but the african american population. i don't think this is true for the fact that hip hop is a lifestyle of glamour and fast cars (don't think i'm pigeon-holing hip hop, but i can't explain it without the mad-skillz of my friend audee). anyone can embrace that sort of lifestyle regardless of color and creed. and the often do -- anyone familiar with a "rice rocket" (no, it's not a derogatory term).

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are Thai Gumdrop? I love Thailand. Absolutely adore it. Except for the traffic in Bangkok.

I'm Chinese. Pure chinese. MY granparents were from China and I absolutely detest it when people refer to Asians as exotic.

We're not blooming fruits, trees or animals. Stop calling us that.

Inter-racial dating is fairly common where I come from. We are a multi-racial society. Heh.

I feel that skin colour or ethnicity is a horribly shallow way of judging somebody.

And about the acting black thing. Gumdrop is right. They are just immersing themselves in the culture. Heck, we have so many skateboarders here with their baggy jeans and all it's unreal.

Individuality is not about wearing a cheongsam for the Chinese, the baju kurong for the Malays or a Sari for the Indians.

It runs deeper than that.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wmskick007
Neophyte
Member # 2375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wmskick007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I have absolutely no problem with interracial dating. Although none of my friends inter-racial date, it is fairly common in my school, so I'm pretty much used to it. I'm usually more interested in white guys(I'm a white girl)and am more interested in white guys than anything other race, but I have lately been attracted to a Venezuelan whose name is Rodolfo. I don't mind at all that he's from Venezuela, because he's so sweet and caring and funny. I think its what is on the inside that counts and not where you're from or what you look like.

------------------
**I ran up the door, shut the stairs, washed my teeth, brushed my face, put on my light and turned off my pajamas all because he kissed me goodnight!!**

Posts: 18 | From: Cartersville, GA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redlanebandit
Neophyte
Member # 25165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redlanebandit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem isn't so much interracial dating as a whole, but dating between specific races.

I know this is where the "you're a racist" comments will start, but that's exactly why we can't have healthy discussions about this, it's always cut short because everyone's afraid of offending.

Fathers, for the MOST PART, aren't upset because you're dating outside of your race. They're upset because you're dating a black person specifically. It's the future you can't see yet he's trying to save you from. It's not a hatred of people, but a fear because of his love for you.

Try taking home a 4.0 gpa well dressed Asian date and see what he thinks. He'll think you're setting sights on a good person with a bright future. Sure, he'll wish at least some that you picked someone who looked a little more like you, but he can be happy and comfy knowing you're on track to a great future because the culture of his race dicates that.

Try taking home a well-mannered, cultured, Spanish date. The only problem you're dad will have is that your mother will probably spend too much time talking about how good looking he is. He'll know you are with a solid man with deep family values and a strong sense of respect, because the culture of his race dictates that.

Like it or not, PC to say it out loud or not, the black american culture isn't anything any father wants to see his daughter involved in because the future is bleak.

I know, "but my guy isn't like that", right? Once out of school, almost ALL of the time people return to the culture of their specific race. That's not a bad thing, but it is a fact. Your father doesn't want to see you living in housing projects or worse. He doesn't want to see you passed around the black community of guys like the white trophy girl they all have to take a turn at.

Like it or not...admit it or not, guys of most races would prefer not to marry a girl who has "been" with a black guy. That's not what they want as mother to their kids. They may tell you that's racist BS and they wouldn't care, but when the time comes, they very much care.

As the mother of half-black kids, you would have more trouble getting a job (if they knew about it) and being accepted into most real world circles. That's not the case with any other ethnic mix.

When you show up to company dinners with your Asian, Hispanic, or other race husband it's all smiles and acceptance. See what happens when you show up with a black guy. Your image is completely and forever changed in the minds of your co-workers and employers.

You don't care because you don't care what people like that would think? Just wait. I promise you'll care very much.

Your dad knows this. He hates for you to make decisions now that can't be taken back, and that includes tarnishing yourself by allowing a black guy to have you.

[This message has been edited by redlanebandit (edited 08-31-2005).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, opinions are fine and dandy. We encourage them. What we don't encourage is making broad statements and applying them to large groups of people. Stereotyping does nothing constructive.

Please be aware of that in the future.

Thanks!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redlanebandit
Neophyte
Member # 25165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redlanebandit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind nature of the warning. Well taken.

Please do understand, however, that I'm not stereotyping (at least not meaning to, reading back over the post it did sound that way). I hold no animosity toward anyone. I'm simply pointing out the common stereotyping which exists in the real world which, right or wrong, effects people in a profound way. People by and large feel this way, and people need to know that to make informed decisions as to whether that's something they want to take on.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

redlandbandit, i think you're pointing something out that even you don't realize you're pointing out.

It's not so much race as it is socioeconomic status. Meaning you think families will be a lot more accepting if the partner in question is educated and wealthy. am i going in the right direction?

now race becomes a factor because there's a significant overlap between poor people, and people of color. the exception to this is that Asian-Americans have a higher median income than all other races in the US.

anyway, it's unfortunate that people sterotype any particular race as always being poor, uneducated, or at worst violent. all we can do is improve ourselves as people (get an education, be productive citizens, work hard) to help bring down such narrow-minded thinking.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

redlanebandit
Neophyte
Member # 25165

Gumdrop Girl, I think you're partially correct. Socioeconomic status as it relates to race is part of it, but it's supported by a most surprising source. Black pop culture seems to celebrate this status. The popular rap music lyrics endorse violence and harbor contempt for education. I'm afraid this does as much to perpetuate the stereotype as a million backward thinking racists. Since it's coming from both sides, I fear it will carry on for a very long time to come.

I know this is horribly frustrating to many of my black friends, but they recognize it as a form of cultural self abuse.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Well, then cross your fingers and hope that Kanye West has a long and illustrious career. Either that, or hope that more kids in poor neighborhoods learn to like Coldplay.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

dark_master
Neophyte
Member # 27374

Icon 7 posted      Profile for dark_master     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont mind interracial dating but unfortunately my parents do, im a viet asain and if i were to date, they would only allow me 2 date viets and thats it, no cacuasian or anything, but personally i just know that i like who i like and my parents have a hard time understanding that, are alot of asain parents strcit against interracail dating?
Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't limit my attractions to any one race, I'm definetly partial to Asian women. I think, on the whole, they're absolutely gorgeous. I think Indian women are lovely as well. As far as men are concerned, I tend to prefer blond haired, light skinned guys. But in any case, it's really the person inside that matters in the end.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregsbabygirl
Neophyte
Member # 34154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregsbabygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't prefer a certain race. I must say most of my boyfriends have been black though. My step-dad can't stand the fact that I don't have the same beliefs as him when it comes to interracial couples. He always tells me I need to stay with my own race and that interracial couples are wrong and all that mess, yet his ex-wife is Thai and he's white. The main problem he has is that he has some problem with black people and my best friend is a black, so naturally I hang out with a bunch of black people and have come to love many of them. He looks at it as they are all terrible people when if he was around them for a while he'd realize they are just as nice as anyone else.

--------------------
~gregs luv~

Posts: 8 | From: Da MaGnIfIcIeNt UsA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smthomas
Neophyte
Member # 37816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smthomas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is interracial dating? dating is just dating.

It would not be a matter the skin color of the person with whom you are dating.
As per my point of view you need to understand your partner, share your dreams and desires with partner, be a great support for him/her, be loving and caring person.

These are the things which really matters in any relationship.

[Edited to remove signature. Please do not link to any sites that intended for adults.]

[ 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: -Jill ]

Posts: 2 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahwashere87
Neophyte
Member # 37807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahwashere87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that when we're talking about inter racial dating and relationships that it goes beyond just looks and skin color. It's important to remember that people experence different levals of oppression based on their skin color, and I believe that the reason many people choose to stay within their own race when developing relationshps is because it's much easier to connect with someone who has experenced the same oppression you have. I'm not implying that everyone behaves this way, but it has been an issue for me in the past. I'm white, so I haven't exprenced the same oppersion that my other people have. This has lead to some frustrating situations because I will never fully understand how it is to be oppressed because of my skin color.

[ 04-03-2008, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: sarahwashere87 ]

Posts: 22 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairy_archer
Neophyte
Member # 34440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairy_archer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly I've dated guys of my own race, but that hasn't stopped me from dating guys out of my race too. Skin color doesn't matter to me. What I have found difficult to get over is culture differences. I once dated a boy whose is asian/american. Really cute guy! But his parents seemed overly strict and obsessed with his grades. Some of the food they liked, I didn't understand either. These were really trivial things, but for me, it was hard to get over.
Posts: 6 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
july_girl18
Neophyte
Member # 38129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for july_girl18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this subject depends upon the background, race, person, and etc. Though I am a mix of two different races I am more leaning towards one than the other side. Just because of my up bringing of my parents teaching me that part. Though i'm not that picky when it comes to dating. Then again when I look at future children I might have, then sometimes its a different story for me. I would like to preserve a part of my heritage with my future children someday and so they could establish benefits from that part of my background. Dating or marriage shouldn't matter for people just depends on your choosing...
Posts: 2 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.