Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » I know this seems strange.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I know this seems strange.
Aimalicious
Activist
Member # 34100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so, when I first met my boyfriend over two years ago, everyone called him by his last name. So when we were just friends, that's what I called him. Never thought I'd end up dating him for well over a year.
Now, it's just so strange to call him by his first name. I just can't do it. I can say it when I talk about him, but not to him.
Sometimes, I still call him by his last name and he doesn't like it.
When I want to get his attention, I yell his first AND last name.

Is that strange?

How can I bring myself to overcome the awkward feeling I get?
I just dont understand why I'm like this!

Posts: 144 | From: MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't seem so terribly strange, really. In fact, something similar has happened to me: I met my partner through a group of mutual friends, and they call him by a nickname. So from the start, I've known him by that name. Only when we started dating and I got more inolved in his life did I find out that no one but that group of mutual friends calls him by that nickname. Everyone else -other friends, collegues, his family, etc- call him by a different name. It's a bit disorienting, but ultimately, I'm still using that other nickname, because that is who he is to me.

Have you asked him why it bothers him if you use his last name? Maybe it would help if you explained to him why you feel more comfortable with his last name.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimalicious
Activist
Member # 34100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told him that's how I met him. I know him as "Kellogg's"
Posts: 144 | From: MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird though it is at first, the more you use his first name the more comfortable it will become.

--------------------
“I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns.” --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.