Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » they abandoned me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: they abandoned me
Initreece
Neophyte
Member # 33321

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Initreece     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at lunch break at school, I finally came out as bi-sexual to my friends and they seemed to not care at first.
Then they told their friends and they didn't wanna talk to me anymore. I could tell because the dirty looks they were giving me and whenever i tryed to talk to them they walked off.
I've already told my new girlfriend that i'm bi-sexual and shes ok with that but i want to tell my parents, and im scared what they will say.

Can someone please help me try to sort it out? :confused:

--------------------
"They talk **** about me because I'm different, so I talk **** about them because they're all the same"
Real men wear PINK!

Posts: 23 | From: Sheffield, England | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really sorry to hear your friends weren't supportive about this... that was really crappy of them to go on and tell others, but maybe they didn't initially mean it in a mean way. Still, it really stinks on their part.

Regardless of their reaction, major props for coming out to them-- that was a brave thing to do. I believe most everyone questions their sexuality, if very few people own up to it in school. Their reactions aren't about you but about THEM being insecure about themselves and own identity. I'm guessing that many will realize how dumb they're being in time, be it in a few days or many years from now. But that doesn't make them ditching you feel any better, especially since the questioning is hard enough on its own.

I'm glad your new girlfriend is ok with it (see, there are people who are fine with it; coming out as GLBT is a good --if hard-- test to see who your "real" friends are.) My guess is that in the near future you'll have OTHER people coming to you, coming out as queer for the first time; while being the unofficial poster boy for something can be crappy, you can learn about and help a lot of others as the new go-to person. In any case, please give your old friends some time, hang out with those being decent, and see how things go. They may even be jealous of your openess and stuff!

As for your parents, how have they seemed in the past in terms of GLBT stuff in the media, etc.? Would you call them more conservative or progressive, tolerant, etc.? How close are you, like what topics do you talk about, ie relationships and sex and the like?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Initreece
Neophyte
Member # 33321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Initreece     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well me and my mum sometimes talk about puberty and relationships, but nothing much really else and she has a friend she used to work with who is gay.

--------------------
"They talk **** about me because I'm different, so I talk **** about them because they're all the same"
Real men wear PINK!

Posts: 23 | From: Sheffield, England | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Initreece, I'm going to put this post in as a placeholder and will get back to you on this in a bit. Sorry to keep you waiting!
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Ack, sorry-- I've been thinking of you but have been really busy. Here's a short answer: Since your mom seems ok with homosexuality in terms of friends, I think things could be ok. You could just say, like whenever you two are relaxed and have time, 'Mom, I've been thinking about my sexual orientation lately. It's important for me to tell you that I'm bisexual.' (or whatever, you know best!)

There are different ways she could react, including super supportive and 'what?' Because bisexuality isn't always accepted, even by people who are ok with homosexuality, she might say: 'Oh, you're just confused' or 'But you have a girlfriend!' You could refer her to articles here and elsewhere, and just give her time. As I said, I don't know how she'll react but that's one possible, rather common response. Good luck and I'll be back next week! [Smile]

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

How've you been doing lately, Initreece? Just wanted to say hi and hope things are better. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.