Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How do I tell them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I tell them?
SatisfactionBroughtItBack
Activist
Member # 33027

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SatisfactionBroughtItBack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided that I should move out of my family house very soon.
I'm going on seventeen this year and some people may argue that thats too young to live alone..
But my problem is this:
I NEED to leave home
Its not that my parents are bothering me or anything.There have been serious family problems over the past while but we have crossed that bridge now I think.Things at home are,in the usual sense of the word..'fine'.But I keep feeling like I shouldnt be here any more.Everyone I know still live with their parenst and probably will till after college.So dont be mistaken into thinking I'm just following the crowd.
I have this itch to be somewhere else,anywhere else at all.And I'm getting a good job this year that might provide the basis for renting an apartment.
But how am I going to explain all this to my parents?
I've tried to tell them that I feel like I have to be somewhere else and they mistook me,they thought I meant something to do with not LIKING living with them..They also said it isnt legal for someone under 18 to move out without parents consent.Is this true?If it isnt,is there any way I can convince them to just let me fly the nest?I have to get outta here.This feeling is so unbearably uncomfortable.

--------------------
ROCK LOBSTER!!!!
I love you Sonic :)

Posts: 50 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know about the laws in Ireland, but in the US, it's damn near impossible to rent an apartment if you are under 18. Then it's impossible to sign a contract for electricity, gas, water, etc.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SatisfactionBroughtItBack
Activist
Member # 33027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SatisfactionBroughtItBack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well apparently over here if I am kicked out of my house the government will buy me a house.But I wont be kicked out because my parents are very clingy.I'm not sure of our laws either and am having trouble finding it out.|But my main problem here is,how I let my parents know I want out and that it isnt because I dont love them or anything.
..Sometimes I think I'm crazy and maybe I should see a shrink or something.There must be something wrong with me if I keep having such weird feelings [Frown]

[ 05-23-2007, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: SatisfactionBroughtItBack ]

--------------------
ROCK LOBSTER!!!!
I love you Sonic :)

Posts: 50 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.