Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Dating sites?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dating sites?
peach2005
Neophyte
Member # 33275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peach2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted the topic about never having been kissed and I forgot to ask if anyone had any opinions on dating sites. If I am not meeting guys at school I was thinking of signing up somewhere like match.com but didn't know if I should. Does it seem kind of desperate for a 20 year old?
Posts: 11 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. in answering this, do know that I'm likely biased, so take from it what you will.

Generally, I don't see online dating as a way "out" if one doesn't have a social life that involves real-life dating. Now, doubtless, it IS easier to get down to the nitty gritty and find out if someone is date-able before you waste your time with a face-to-face meeting. But that also has to come eventually, and in that case, in many ways it IS as stressful and poses many of the same problems you might find yourself facing right now.

Too, many people soon quit dating sites, and the main reason cited is repeated dates going badly. Mostly, the reason for this is inflated expectations -- as in, falling in deep like with someone on the 'Net, then meeting them in person and being pretty disappointed to find something unpleasant about the person, or that there is simply no physical chemistry, no matter how great one thought they'd hit it off. In that way, online dating can be even MORE stressful.

So, just as long as you're aware that dating can have the same pitfalls no matter the medium it's in, I'd say go for it. Best way to do it, in my opinion? Find someone local, and if you like what you hear, meet after only 2-3 emails. This way you learn enough about them that you feel cool with dating them yet still have plenty to learn face-to-face, plus it'll likely cut down on inflated hope.

Good luck!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, so long as you're safe and smart about it, I always enjoyed online dating.

Mind, I ended up meeting more friends and casual partners than people I actually dated that way -- there really is no accounting for physical cemistry until you meet someone -- and didn't meet the love of my life via online dating, but I did always enjoy it.

(Sparing that if you're female and bisexual, do yourself a favor and don't say that in your profile: the only people you'll hear from are generally pretty skeezy guys or bored couples -- even if you say those people should not contact you, I tried that way, too. Just post whatever sex/gender it is you're looking for.)

But there's nothing desparate about seeking out companionship, not for any age or any person.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a small note from someone who is maybe too cautious but have reasons to be ...

If you ever meet someone there hun that seems cool and wanna date him/her (whether it's through chat or dating sites), I strongly suggest you that you both set this date in a public place at FIRST. Because in some cases like mine, people can pretend they are someone they are not and you could easily find yourself in trouble and really unsafe and be a recipe for disaster.

Take it from someone who's been there. [Smile]

For me, it turned out badly and I probably won't meet people from chat ever again but it sure can turn out great for some other people. We just can't generalize too much.

[ 04-28-2007, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.