Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Relationships Disappearing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Relationships Disappearing
lil_kiwi
Activist
Member # 26749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil_kiwi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need help. I just started going to college last year and it's like all my close relationships are going away. My best friend is changing into a completely different person, probably since she is more dedicated to school and her future career and so are my friends. If they are not obsessed with college work, they are in a great relationship and obsessed with it at the moment. I feel odd though because it's like all my old friendships are slipping through my fingers and the people at my college are older and have families so they don't care about friends and I don't have any real relationships unless you consider fooling around with a guy one. I feel so lost. How can I make more friends and find relationships with guys. I am always nice to people but it's like I am too formal or something. I hate to say it but it's like I am socially retarded, aka shy. How can I build more relationships!?
Posts: 198 | From: Ca, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definately understand where you're coming from, lil_kiwi. Unfortunately, sometimes people change and drift apart when social situations change, such as making the transition from high school to college. Are you making an effort to keep in touch with those friends? (I know it can suck when it seems like they have something that takes priority over your friendship, but I've always found that perseverance does pay- people will usually get over the thrall of a new relationship after a while, for example. [Smile] )

The good thing is, while college often leaves MANY people feeling alone, there are lots of opportunities to meet people, too. Why not see if there's a club or group at your college that you'd like to join, or something you could volunteer for, or attend a college event? I know it's hard when you're shy (believe me I know, I'm horribly shy myself!), but it can really lead to good friendships with like-minded people.

As for finding relationships, it seems to me that the best thing to do is simply focus on finding friendship. Often people find that relationships can spring from a casual friendship, and if you're shy, that's often easier than simply approaching an attractive person and hitting on them [Wink]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.