Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » left out again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: left out again
Dus8or
Neophyte
Member # 9740

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Dus8or     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wanted to go to a movie tonight so I texted my friend at around 7 to ask if she wanted to go. She didn’t really answer so I asked another friend and she said she didn’t know yet. At around 9 (the movie was at 10ish and you have to get there early) the first friend texted me saying she was going to the second’s house to go to the movie. I got annoyed that neither had bothered to let me know that they had both decided to go until almost too late when they were leaving, even though I asked them hours before. I told them that I wasn’t going to even go and that I felt bad for always having to invite myself to do things. They called me a bunch of times after that and sent me text saying "come come!" and I didn’t pick up or answer. I don’t know what the deal is. I feel like I am always asking to do things with them, when just a few months ago they would call me all the time and complain that they never saw me. Should I work on distancing myself from them? Should I say anything? It is depressing for me to feel like people don't care about me.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's hard to really give an opinion based on this one incident, but sometimes things just get screwed up while making plans.

It doesn't necessarily mean that your friends don't want to include you; they may simply just be bad at planning things (like my friends are! [Razz] ).

But if you do feel like they're excluding you, it really won't help to do things like ask them to see a movie, then refuse to answer your phone after something goes wrong. They did want you to come; they wouldn't have insisted if they wanted otherwise. It's a little unfair to lay such a guilt trip on them, based on your description of the situation. Things like your reaction can actually push people away, because it's hard to deal with.

Honestly, I don't know if you have to distance yourself from them- it doesn't really sound as if they've done much wrong. But perhaps you guys should work on communication- such as making sure everyone knows the plans for a night- and perhaps it would help to try and be a little more forgiving of your friends. After all, they DID inform you of the plans with enough time to get to the movie- some people are just procrastinators. [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.