Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Eight years! Yipes! (and a big thank you)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eight years! Yipes! (and a big thank you)
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I'm continuing to bust my bottom editing the book today, I also continue to notice how many things in it I would not have learned had it not been for all of you. SO much of what we see in the world per the presentation of young adults and young adult sexuality is generally based on very small samlple sizes, colored with a given person's agenda, and a whole lot of either wishful thinking or, conversely, crazed sex-panic adults are projecting unto teens.

You all, by virtue of coming to the whole site, to the boards, via your posts and emails, have given me one hell of an opportunity, in both your number and your turst and honesty. Not only does that really benefit me (and all of us) in doing this book, in doing all of what we do here at Scarleteen, it also adds a whole lot to other aspects of my life.

For instance, you guys make me have to step up more than I might otherwise. In all the work I do, in any arena, some part of my head is always asking, "Is what I'm doing with this something I'm okay with any of the Scarleteen readers ever seeing or reading? Would I be letting them down?" If I'm representing you at all, or doing anything that might or does impact you, I have to check in with myself very intensely to make sure I'm doing right by you. And that's a real gift: a lot of other adults I know working in sexuality don't have to do that, or, at best, have manybe one kid -- theirs -- they have to do that check-in with. I, on the other hand, have thousands and thousands of you to account to, and I honestly think it makes all the work I do better, more authentic, more compassionate and more balanced.

About a month from now, we'll be at the eight-year-mark for this site. Which is just CRAZY. It is outrageous to me that over those eight years, millions of people have been here. Time goes by so, so fast, and those numbers add up. When I started doing this, I never intended for it to become my full-time job: I was just trying, in a small way, to fill a need I kept seeing. It was really quite accidental that it turned out to be a much bigger need than I anticipated, and that this site turned out to be a place where so many people came to have it served.

I'll give you, it's not always easy. When any of you have been hurt or are in deep crisis, it's emotionally trying. And let's face it: sometimes some of you frustrate the living crap out of me. [Smile] But all of you -- all of you -- have very deeply enriched my life, and while I had a little bit of time amidst some excruciatingly busy months, I just wanted to thank you. To thank you for giving me your trust, to thank you for helping others when you've been here, to thank you for being with us for any part of this quite unexpected journey. To thank you for being around: some of you have been around long enough that I've gotten to watch you step into some amazing achievements, and some of you have even gone into areas of this field over your tenure here, something which makes me really excited and proud.

Just know that you are all cared for and always in mind. I'm so glad to have had you in my life over the last eight years: I look forward to spending more. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.