Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Interracial dating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interracial dating
jenni_2004
Neophyte
Member # 8183

Icon 9 posted      Profile for jenni_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i am new here and have read alot of topics and see that you do give really good advice. Maybe you all can help me.

See i am native american and my b/f is black. My parents say they don't want me dating black guys because they don't want me to turn out like my sisters. (they both have black b/f's). Ok. We are both 16(he's in 11th i'm in 10th) and love each other very much. We have been dating for 5 months and have already had sex. But friday afternoon after school, he brought me home and my people got so angry. Now they say i can't talk on the phone with im anymore. But i snuck and talked on the phone friday night with him. We are still together but i don't know what i am gonna do. I cried all day friday and even cried my self to sleep that night. I am not gonna let my mom or my grandma keep us apart. We love each other too much. What do you guys think of interracial dating and if you were in my position what would you do? I really need help cause i am starting to go crazy. Please tell me what you think.

Posts: 10 | From: Rowland, Nc Usa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask to have a talk with your parents.

In that talk, I would explain to them that the race of your partner cannot "make" you be like your siblings any more than anything else. You are you and you get to make your choices, and you really can't control who you love.

Perhaps give them a chance to talk about WHY this bothers them and what they are really afraid of. See if you can't bring up a discussion of racism in the kindest way possible.

Work for compromise: find out what limits are acceptable to them, tell them what you're comfortable with. And perhaps suggest that at the very least, they let you see him in your home, with them. Getting to know him, in and of itself, may help a lot of the problem.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 05-12-2002).]

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miz Scarlet gave you some excellent advice. She's right. . . The best thing to do is talk with your elders. Explain to them that you and your sisters are different people, and since you have such a healthy relationship, point how responsible you are already being. Best of luck.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bambinosgurl4219
Neophyte
Member # 7231

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Bambinosgurl4219     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself am in an interracial relationship, and let me tell you, I feel where you are coming from. At first my mom did not like my b/f either, (he is Hispanic, I am white), and after a while, we were forbidden to see each other. I was miserable, sneaking around for six months behind my mother's back. Finally, my b/f had enough and told me he couldn't do it anymore..that was the push I needed to finally talk to my mom about how strongly I feel for my b/f. To this day she still does not like him, but she respects my feelings, and now we are together and happier than ever. In order for you not to suffer the pain I did, you HAVE to talk to your family...and then your family needs to sit down and get to know your b/f...that way they can realize he is a great guy, and his race alone is not going to cause you to "turn out like your sisters"...good luck to you!!!

------------------
"What do you do when the only person who can make you stop crying is the person who made you cry?"

"I hate you for hurting me, but most of all, I hate me for loving you."

"The only genuine love worthy of the name is unconditional."

Posts: 25 | From: that special place in my true love's heart!!! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earth girl
Neophyte
Member # 7759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earth girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading these stories makes me feel so sad.

I'm in an interracial relationship also, although I don't like the term personally. There's only one race walking the earth, and that's the human one, I don't like to insinuate that my boyfriend is an alien

Anyway, none of that is relevant to your situation. The advice given here is useful - talk to your parents in a calm, rational, mature way. The problem with your going behind their back is that they might become even more set in their ways, so you really need to have this talk ASAP. Suggest that they meet him, but don't force them, because if they meet him in a negative frame of mind it won't help things at all.

Most importantly, don't let this split up your relationship. Getting through this setback (and I hope you do) will show you have the strength to stay together. Good luck!

Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what to say except I wholeheartedly sympathize with you and yes, Miz Scarlet's advice is the best. I really just wrote to let you know stuff like this can work: my mother is Malay, my father an Australian, and they've been married (with their fair share of arguments ) happily for nearly twenty years.

------------------
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. - Sir Winston Churchill

Luv,
Dahlia @ here or here

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer23
Activist
Member # 6893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. I am also in an interracial relationship, tho I do not like the term, either. My boyfriend is Mexican, I am white, and we have been together for a year now. His mom does not like me, for age and race reasons ((I am older than he)). It is something that is hard to deal with, that is for certain. I agree with Mz. Scarlet. You should talk to your parents and tell them how you feel. My boyfriend and I attempted this, but we lost her trust ((another long story)) so, its a rough road. I say hang in there! You 2 love each other, and things will probably work themselves out! Good Luck!
Posts: 45 | From: Girard, OH, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babiblew
Neophyte
Member # 8386

Icon 12 posted      Profile for babiblew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gurl, I am also in a relationshop where I am white and my boyfriend is mixed. Its caused a lot of problems. But ya know, if the two of you care about each other as much as yall say yall do then you can make it through anything. Me and my boyfriend have lost friends, my parents got divorced because of it. I mean, its just all in what your willing to go through for that person. But I wish you the best of luck in everything!! You deserve it!!.. Keep in touch and let me know how things go...<---Edited. For your own safety please do not post your email address or other information that could be used to identify you.--->

later gurl!!

------------------
*babi-blew*

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 05-28-2002).]

Posts: 8 | From: Hagan, Georgia US | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenni_2004
Neophyte
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenni_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey babiblew,
Things are going really good. I think that this has brought us closer together. But I think my only problem is that I am too selfish. I mean we argue sometimes, but mostly it's me. He never agrues with me. And I can't stay mad at him. I am trying so hard not to be selfish.

hugs

Please see Lisa D's post below.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 05-29-2002).]

Posts: 10 | From: Rowland, Nc Usa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babiblew
Neophyte
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babiblew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We seem to be a lot alike. Im NOT a selfish person at ALL!! Until it comes to me and my boyfriend. But um..ill e*mail you sometime!! Dont feel bad though, because I completly understand what your going through!!

((((hugggss))))

later daze..

------------------
*babi-blew*

Posts: 8 | From: Hagan, Georgia US | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jenni!

We at Scarleteen ask that you please do not post your email address on the boards...'tis a safety issue, and we want to keep everyone safe, ya know.

Thanks!

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"interacial dating" shouldn't even be a term. its just dating. im lucky that my parents don't really care what race my bf is, because my parents married out of their race, . my mom is japanese and my dad is white. my dad's mom has a strong dislike for my mother, just because she is of a different heritage. which is retarded. but yah, on to what we are really talking about, all what these people have said is totaly true. talk to ur parents about it. but bring it up as gently as possible. the best of luck!

------------------
me myslef and i

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotta
Activist
Member # 20900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey jenni_2004 and all that have posted....i just wanted to hear all of your post stories about what happened and what your paretns said...im at that stage where sneaking around not telling my parents about our "interracial" dating is making me lose friends and absolutely driving me crazy. i want to talk to my parents but i dont even know where to start adn what to say...... help a sister out!
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
domncroxd
Activist
Member # 20869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for domncroxd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm in an interracial relationship myself, and i had to keep it secret from my parents. however now my mom knows, because i really sat down and told her about it, and needless to say she wasn't pleased at all. yes, i love my boyfriend, and he loves me. the funny thing is (and some of you might think i'm stupid to do this) that we both know we'd be in a lot of trouble if both our parents knew, so we thought that we'd just stick it out till the end of high school and remain friends afterwards. yeah, it'll hurt a lot, but that's why life goes on. my culture emphasizes a lot of filial piety and respect to elders, so for me, i'll compromise by doing this - stick it out till the end of high school and then move on. who says i can't be best friends with him still, right?
Posts: 53 | From: Melbourne, Australi | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotta
Activist
Member # 20900

Icon 5 posted      Profile for dotta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how did you tell your parents? what did you say?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
domncroxd
Activist
Member # 20869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for domncroxd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey dotta, my dad doesn't know, but my mom does. i guess i was lucky that i caught her at the right time, i.e. we were both shopping and having a great time. however, i owe a lot to luck though - the fact that so far i've been doing well in my studies, so my mom could see *reasonably* that i wasn't really being affected by a relationship, and so on.
Posts: 53 | From: Melbourne, Australi | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.