Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Am I selfish?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I selfish?
Loneliestnumber
Neophyte
Member # 4503

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Loneliestnumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you may now (and as some may not know), I've been dating a fellow for the last 3 months that lives an hour away from me.
The reason I feel selfish, though, is because I feel like I'm putting pressure on him to do several things he does not want to do. I've only mentioned them a few times but still I feel entirely too guilty for still really wishing they would happen.
One big issue is the fact that he does not have his liscence yet. He's 21 now, turned so last week, and even has a very nice Corvette just sitting in his parent's driveway. He claims that driving just intimidates him somewhat and I can understand, I was the same way until I got mine a year ago. But, really, it's beginning to wear me out to have to do all the driving. But, as I said, I feel selfish harping about it.
I feel like he has no motivation, like he's perfectly satisfied living at home, working at his father's gas station and spending all his money on computer & video games. And I also feel selfish for thinking that -I- have more motivation than him when I just attend college and still live off my folks for the most part.
I guess I just wanted to complain. Nobody else seems to want to listen to my complaints.

------------------
"Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run!"

C'mon, visit my website. You know you want to.
~Revelations.In.Black~

Posts: 38 | From: Somerset, KY, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I dont think that it makes you selfish, but you cant force people to do what they dont want to do. You can and talk to them, but they are still going to do what they want to do in the end. Its not your fault. I dont think that you should beat yourself up over it.

If he wants to get his license, let him do it on his own. Hes 21 now, hes big enough to make choices on his own. All you can really do is tell him how you feel. After that its up to him to respond.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm..that's a tough one. It seems like you are both happy in your personal situations, but obviously, you aren't happy with his lifestyle. That's really a tough call becuase you can't dictate how he should live his life and likewise, he can't do the same with you.

I can understand the drag of having to driving all the time though. In high school, I drove most of my friends everywhere they needed to go at my expense (damn I'm too nice sometimes). Have you tried explaining to him how you feel? I would think that if he cared about your feelings, then he'd at least try to work something out so you don't feel the way that you do.

As for your original question, no I don't think that you are selfish. Relationships are a two-way street and if it looks more like a one-way road, then something is wrong.

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.