Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Morals vs Instincts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morals vs Instincts
4.exe
Activist
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.exe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question for all of us.
What is more important in the decision for you? morality or "instincts"
For example, if you have somebody that you like very much, he/she kissed you, you want to kiss him(because it justs feels good) but you think it´s wrong to kiss somebody you don´t are "in love with". Do u think you must repress yourself or try to finish the morals that stop what you really basically want for? :?
thanks
4.exe

Posts: 53 | From: Montevideo, Uruguay | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting

I would go for the moral part. I need to know that what i'm doing is right ... rather than just due to hormones.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww but sometimes you just want horomones! Most of the time I'd say I'd want it to be more than just a kiss, I'd want it to be about love or like or care or something like that, and not about horomone levels. But sometimes you just have to go for it and it's just GOOD, even if it was just lust, and even if it was something as simple as a kiss.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would stick to my morals. No matter how raging my hormones were. *hehe* I've always put my morals before anything else in most of my decisions.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say morals also, I dont feel like regreting it in the future.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say morals but that would be a lie.

The reason I say that is because I realise now that alot of the morals and values I hold through actually are not my own. They are my parents', my friend's, my religion's etc.

So I would go with my instincts. If it feels right to me, it has to be right. I had sex with my bf against my "morals" only to realise that hey, they weren't even mine to begin with.

And for me, my morals and instinct go hand-in-hand. I would never kiss another guy (example) so if I was faced with that situation, instinctively I would think it was wrong and I wouldn't do it.

Makes sense? This is one long post for an answer which should only be a few words long.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lin I deleted the double post for ya!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've generally found that my instincts and my ethics don't oppose one another very often, so it isn't an either/or situation at all, but a very comfortable union. And the older I get, and the more I grow into who I am, the more that seems to be the case.

So, I very rarely have had to make those sorts of choices, and on some level, I think that ifd you DO find they oppose one another a lot, it may be worth thinking about your ideas of personal morality and ethics -- ultimately, your ethics should fit who you ware, and a lot of the time, if you have simply taken on someone else's system of ethics or molarity, rather that creating what works best for you, it can be like trying to walk in shoes that don't fit.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mack
Activist
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say i go with morals. Then again I'm the last one of my kind. The Kind that does not thing below the waist.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's please be sure in this discussion not to prpegate the idea that anything having to do with peoples genitals is a) immoral or b) necessarily sexual.

Because we can thank that arcane attitude for such lovely things as the idea that women are filthy or impure because they menstruate, that masturbating is the worlds greatest sin, and that sex is dirty, no matter how you do it.

Plus, you don't need the help of your genitals to act unethically. You can do that in a multitude of ways, and people who do are not sexually active in any way, shape or form are not free from unethical behaviour.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, my legs and my feet and my toes and ankles and knees are below my waist, and I've certainly done things with those body parts that aren't sexual!
Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with your morals. Exercise self-control and when the time is right, it will be rewarding.

------------------
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."

-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if I was dating someone, I'd stick with morals.

But when I'm not, sometimes I just can't help myself. I do stop before it gets too out of hand. I just sticking with kissing when it comes to someone who I don't "love." I just love kissing. If I could, I'd kiss everyone!

------------------
To be a princess is to be an actress, but not necessarily a good one.
Don't dream your life, live your dream

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.