Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » 2 year difference? HEs older?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 year difference? HEs older?
stephie932
Neophyte
Member # 43029

Icon 5 posted      Profile for stephie932     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok...well, i have posted b4 about this other guy anthony....but we broke up. my ex had called me the other day and apologized for everything and he wanted to get back together...so did i so i broke up with anthony and got back together with eric...well eric just turned 16 and i will be 14 next month. we have dated before, but no onw knew even our parents and friends...do you think it would be a good idea to tell people or not? we go to church together and we are worried what everyone will think if it is ok "according to the Bible" or not....what should we do? [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
Love is when, against your own will, you feel as though you would do anything for that one person to put their happiness first.
Lust is B.S. You feel it sometimes, but, unlike love, you can't go along with it.

Posts: 32 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's rarely ever a good idea to hide a relationship from your friends in family, so I do strongly encourage you to tell them. Maybe, when you tell your parents, ask if he can come over for a family dinner to meet them. And when you mention him to your friends, you can suggest you all hang out together.

I'm not sure how your friends and family will react, but being upfront and encouraging them to get to know him will likely help them feel more okay with the relationship.

You should also keep in mind that, depending on the state your in, sexual activity between the two of you might be illegal, and he might be considered responsible, given that he's older. But, there's certainly nothing against you dating or being friends.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephie932
Neophyte
Member # 43029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephie932     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok. and i dont plan on any sexuakl activity....yet...its just too soon. but i really care about him and i dont know what my parents will think...and my friends might think he is too old for me...

--------------------
Love is when, against your own will, you feel as though you would do anything for that one person to put their happiness first.
Lust is B.S. You feel it sometimes, but, unlike love, you can't go along with it.

Posts: 32 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two or three years can be a significant age gap for dating when we're young as opposed to when we are older. Even when we're young, it doesn't have to be a big deal as long as you keep your state law in mind, as atm1 said.

I agree with atm1 in that you should probably let your family and friends know what's going on-- there's certainly no harm in it, and you would not have to feel as though you were keeping a secret.

And frankly, I am not Christian but I don't know of anything in the text that condemns people from dating if they had a few years age difference, (someone correct me if I am wrong.) I know there can be problems concerning sexual activity before marriage, but you haven't indicated that you are interested in that at this time anyway.

As long as you can have an honest, healthy relationship with Eric and can be frank with your parents and friends, I doubt this will become a huge issue despite a couple year's age difference.

Let us know if we can help you more. [Smile]

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephie932
Neophyte
Member # 43029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephie932     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok. thanks so much!

--------------------

HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my boyfriend started dating when I was 14 and he was 17. I'm 17 now and we've been very happy this whole time. There are times when I feel that he's even less mature than myself, even with the age gap. I don't think your physical age really affects a relationship all that much anyway. Although, the legal things are good to keep in mind. If you ever do decide to have sex, you should look into states' laws about that, if that's a matter of importance.
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.