Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » A Woman's Eyes:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Woman's Eyes:
antonio99
Activist
Member # 2464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonio99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does a woman's eyes tell you when they're interested in you or not ?

I have seen a few women on-campus college glance at me and then look away. Sometimes in classes some of them look at me when I'm not looking at them but manage to catch my luck by wandering my eyes around the entire class. And all of a sudden they're staring and then glance away.

What does this really mean ?

Any ideas ?

Antonio99

P.S. Have a great weekend.

Posts: 208 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's try some gender-neutral language, because again, women are not another species: "Can you tell if someone likes you from the way they look at you?"

No. And to be honest, I've seem more people embarass themselves by assuming that a look was "the look of love" than I can count on all of my digits.

Obviously, there are subtle ways anyone "signals" that they like someone. However, since we aren't orangutans with very specific signals like waving foliage at someone, and since we all vary from culture to culture and person to person, there isn't a map of what those signals are for every human being.

Thing is, if you want to talk to someone, talk to someone. If they want to talk to you, they'll talk back. What sort of relationship you or they are interested in will develop over time as you learn to comfortably communicate with one another and as you DO learn what each unique person's unique signals mean.

And you have to use more than eyes to do that. You have to use words.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz S is right, there is not one signal that means, "Hey, I like you, wanna go get a smoothie?" Although this whole foliage waving idea may have some merit...I might just start carrying around a large leaf of lettus around campus and wave it when I want attention, see what kind of response I get. That could be interesting.

Anyway, signals mean different things from person to person. And also, if you're sitting in class and somebody is staring at you, they may just be bored out of their mind, and you're head may just happen to be where their eyes have landed. I've done that a few times myself...especially during EECE (nasty class, let me just tell you!).

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
~Joan Crawford

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 01-26-2001).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look at guys I like and smile all of the time. Its a great sign that girls are looking at you...it shows there interest. Next time, try to catch her gaze and hold it. (Don't stare, just smile) Good luck

------------------
"Girl you can pick a field full of daisies...but he'd still be my baby!" ~Dream

***STACY***

Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Semaphore - the official language of inter-gender communications. ;p

------------------
- Unprincipled hooligan.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, if I ONLY look at someone -- of whatever gender -- it's usually a pretty good sign that I am NOT interested. If I am interested, I'll go up and say something, or respond enthusiastically if the person says something to me.

But a glance alone really doesn't mean anything... coming from me, it's more likely to mean "who the hell is that person and why does he/she look like someone I used to know in high school and if it is that person, what on earth are they doing HERE?"

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look at guys sometimes just because I'm shocked at how much gel is in their hair, or because I'm sick of staring at the bus ads. My eyes do need to go somewhere.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same with me Milke, I look at people but it doesnt mean I like them, people look at people, thats what we do, were human.

If you want something to happen, maybe go up to them and talk to them. That the best thing you can do to start anything.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.