Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » religion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: religion
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys ~ I got into an intersting discussion w/ my friends yesterday about this and I was curious what you're opinions were on this topic. I was wondering how reiligous you guys were and if you would consider dating outside your religion. For me, it doesn't matter what religion you are as long as I like ya, but I know for some people it really matters. What do ya think?
Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KiSsMEimSaRa13
Neophyte
Member # 1882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KiSsMEimSaRa13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to be a very good christian, which may sound like i am a goody two shoes, but i feel really good at the end of the day knowing that i have tried my best to be a good person. Well, anyway, i date whoever i want. I don't care if they're a freaking Amish!! As long as they strongly believe in...whatever they believe in. However if they call themselves Jewish, and you hear them dissing their own beliefs, I think that is really stupid. I really date whoever i like and i think is nice, as long as they don't insult my religion.
Posts: 10 | From: Blashme, Alabama, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michelle
Activist
Member # 247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm jewish and my bf is atheist. when i was younger i used to say i was gonna marry someone jewish too. but i've realized that a guy being the same religion as me isn't very important (to me). i can't choose who i fall in love with. i love my boyfriend and i'm not going to not be with him just because he believes something different than me.

------------------
DAWSON:TheWizard ofOz?
GRETCHEN:Exactly. It’s what everybody remembers about the movie, but it doesn’t resonate w/the rest of the story...And sure it has its problems. Poppy fields, flying monkeys...
DAWSON: --Talking trees.
GRETCHEN: But along the way you make friends. Good friends. W/people you never knew existed when you were growing up: straw people and tin people and --
DAWSON: -- Lions.
GRETCHEN: Exactly. And you help each other realize that all the things you want to be -- you already are.

Posts: 100 | From: TX, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not believing in any form of higher power, I date whoever I like and they're willing to give me a chance.

Their religion doesn't matter to me, as long as they don't force it on me. I love going to church with my friends, but purely through my choice. And I will listen to anyone's point of view, as long as it's not insulting me or discriminating.

So, basically, let me be, and it'll be fine.

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend and i are both very spiritual people. but while he's a christian and i'm a buddhist, we get along quite well, thank you.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not in my family or my boyfriends family. Im a catholic and he is lutheran, basically means the same thing.

My family was never religous about being religous, (make sense?) Ive went to church a few times in my day, but I went with my grandma who went all the time. (We even have a family window in that church). But thats about it folks.

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bf is a buddhist and I believe in A God. But I'm more partial towards Christianity.

I think religion is a beautiful thing and I respect everybody's beliefs. But as Pink said, it really irks me when people try to force their beliefs on me.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mack
Activist
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a atheist so no matter who i dated chance are it would be of some religion. As long as they respect my beliefs I really dont care what the believe just as long as they are not making human saficraces to their gods or any of that other voodoo. And as long as they dont plan to burn me at the stake i could careless about what they believe in.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, if any of us only chose people who had absolutely everything identically in common with us, we'd likely be bored silly. It'd also be a little bit weird to basically be with your twin night and day.

Most couples have things they have in common, and things they don't. So long as they truly care for one another and respect one another, nearly anything can really be a non-issue, especially when you're just dating. And frankly, not having everything in common keeps things interesting -- you keep learning and growing.

It gets a little bit more complicated when you're looking at life partnerships and dealing with child-rearing: if you has two diametrically opposed ideologies (be they religious, political, what have you) itcan be a bit hard to raise a kid together without confusing the heck out of the poor thing. But for the most part, one makes compromises, and we find ways to make it work, and that's usually possible. Even though my parents weren't together for long, they did both rear me with VERY different religious beliefs, and I simply accepted that they each thought different things. No biggie.

I've been with people of just about as many varied religions as I can dream up (although I'm fairly certain I've never been involved with a devout Muslim, I don't manage your average Muslim would find who I am and what I do with my life very harmonious with that belief system), and for the most part, it's never been that big of an issue, and I've certainly never split with anyone over it.

Honestly, Mag, I never even thought about dating "inside" or "outside" of my own belief system at all -- it just never crossed my mind as an issue. I've always just dated the people who I've gotten on best with, and who have gotten on with me. Then again, I also didn't grow up with my parents saying, "Oh honey, I really hope you will end up with a nice unitarian-agnostic-buddhist-wiccan-hippie boy/girl/whatever."

Good topic, though.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an ecclectic Pagan, and my son's father is an atheist. But out relationship was all-around "bad" anyway, and when we started dating I was not in a place where I was planning my future, or concerned with religion at all.
Beyond that, he doesn't contribute all that much to our son's upbringing, so he really doesn't have much say in the matter. He makes fun of me, calls me a "witch" and what not...but that doesnt bother me.
He so far off that he got mad at me for teaching our son the word "penis" and INSISTED that he call it a "weener". So, his say on my religion doesn't bother me.

I am not dating any one currently, and have no plans to date anyone in the near future. But if and when I choose to, I will only date somebody who is a compassionate, understanding and tolerant individual. And no more kids for me, so that is not a concern. Really, I mean that...

Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For the most part, if any of us only chose people who had absolutely everything identically in common with us, we'd likely be bored silly. It'd also be a little bit weird to basically be with your twin night and day.

Yes Miz S Yes. And that is exactly what I have been trying to explain to my bf. Sorry, off topic.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was rasied in a home where it was never even an option to date, much less marry, someone who isn't a Christian. Although I was "spoon-fed" this by my parents, now that I am old enough to make my own decions and have my own ideas, I can honestly say that I agree totally. It is my personal belief however, and I don't try to force it on anyone else. The Bible says "do not be unequally yolked" By only dating Christian boys, I hope that the boy I fall in love with will be Chrisitian, however to be honest I can say I have never been put in a position to choose between love and religion, the only person I've ever loved was, infact, a Christian. This is just my opinion

Stacy

------------------
"Girl you can pick a field full of daisies...but he'd still be my baby!" ~Dream

***STACY***

Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.