Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books
Voostra
Neophyte
Member # 2049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voostra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about stuff to do with my gf, and though it might be kinda interesting, and just a good way to spend dome nice time togther to read a book together.. Anyone ever done this?, and anyone maybe have any ideas of what a good book might be?.. I was wandering around the bookstore a bit today, but nothing really struck me...
Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive never done it but it seems like a good idea. Take your girlfriend with you and you both can pick out a type of book you like.

I think I might do that now!

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a really sweet idea. Great way to spend time with your gf.

Notsure if I can give you any suggestions coz my bf and I are into 2 totally different kinds of books.

What is your library like? Mine has this kids corner which is really cozy. If yours has one, why don't you guys go borrow a book and curl up in a corner and read.

*lin thinks to herself* geez this is a REALLY good idea. Cheap too.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked the book The Perks of Being A Wallflower. But for a date or a romantic evening, it would probably be a little too......powerful.

But if you want to cuddle with her, or protect her, why not try reading a horror novel? Like Stephen King?

Good Luck, and Good Idea !

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading a book together might be a good idea for some folks but that definitely wouldn't work for my boyfriend and I. I suck at reading out loud, tripping over every other word. He mumbles and reads really quickly. It would never work. That's why we just stick to roaming around bookstores. I think you guys should do that first. And if you happen to find a book that both of you like, read it together.
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Voostra
Neophyte
Member # 2049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voostra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kuu .. yah.. that's prolly the best to just go cruise around the library or bookstore with her ..

Thanks for the ideas people!

Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the Griffin and Sabine trilogy. Artistically, they are beautiful, and they are a series of letters and postcards back and forth that are highly addictive and very inventive.

You don't have to buy all three, but you'll want to.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

It does sound like a sweet idea doesn't it? I saw it on Dawson's Creek when Pacey and Joey were reading to each other ... aww!! I suggested it to my bf, but i think we're in the same boat as SlowCookie and her pookie
I'm a bookworm and he's not ... Maybe we should trade bf's? lol

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my bookish, English majoring boyfriend to this fabulous bookstore called City Lights Books, in San Francisco. It's the place where Kerouac, Ginsburg et al beat poet types used to hang out. We went up to the attic to the beat poetry section, where he read me some Kerouac. Then I took him downstairs to the cellar, where I was looking for some R.A. Wilson, didn't find it, so I read him some sonnets by Shakespeare.

looking for something short and romantic? Shakespearean sonnets will do the trick. My personal favorite is Sonnet CXXX "Mine mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun..."

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh..reading together.....great thing to do!

I agree with Miz S - the Griffin and Sabine books are fabulous. Really. Beutifully made and mysterious. Start with one, you'll get the other two ones the very next day.
My ex and I, we used to read lots of things together (everything, really!) and my partner and I sometimes read the same books at the same time, lying next to each other, which is great (we each need a book though, because I read much faster than he does).

I've read out lots of kids books to my (Ex)partners, poems (Goethe, the transcript of Derek Jarman's "Blue", stuff I've found at Heathers other sites, Erich Fried) a book by Ladislaus E.Almasy, who was the "English Patient", stories by John Chever and Richard Brautigam and also "Brother of Sleep" by Robert Schneider, which is an amazing, moving book.
I'd really like to read "I.M - Ischa Meijer - In Margine - In Memoriam" by Connie Palmen (a dutch authour) with my partner one day....but he'd prolly think it was too emotional....

Just read out whatever feels right and what you both might like....you'll enjoy it, I am sure.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would die for a boyfriend who would read with me and admit to liking books and reading and, well, anything other than playstations, booze and naked women really. Lads round here seem so ignorant sometimes, trying to be macho and impress their mates and not showing any signs of intelligence at all. So, your g/f is very lucky even if you read baby books to her.
(I would die for a boyfriend full stop really but especially one who reads)

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troublemaka
Activist
Member # 543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troublemaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK personally i think the best books in the world are the Harry Potter books! There great if you guys like useing ur imagination.
Happy Hunting!

------------------
dont frown, u never know whos falling in love with ur smile~!~

Posts: 92 | From: Somewere over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weegee
Neophyte
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weegee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do it all the time. It's one of my favorite things.

A tip: When you read by yourself, ever find the word's so awsome that you just start saying them out loud? That's the stuff to read with your SO! The words will bring out the passion in your voice. Read them slowly. Believe me, they will hear you

Posts: 2 | From: SF, CA. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading my first wife "Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement when she had conjunctivitis. She loved this "different" adventure story.

------------------
All paper clips are born free, but they live in chains

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner loves the Harry Potter books, and tried reading the first one to me. The problem, though, is that my mother used to read to me to put me to sleep, and I was tired anyway, so you can guess what happened. I read the first three books by myself, and was a little underwhelmed, but I have read an awful lot of good kids' books, and Harry can sort of pale in comparison. However if you like British children's books, you might want to try Enid Blyton.

And Gumdrop, there's a used bookshop where I live that's called City Lights too, named for the original I'm sure. Again, it's one of the coolest places here, a used book store that's absolutely packed, floor to ceiling, and with maze-like shelves. It's also the only place I know where you can still buy 78's, and there are groovy bargain bins outside where I once got 50 records for $5.00.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FluxFish
Neophyte
Member # 2360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FluxFish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, the book doesn't have to be a romantic one for the experience to be romantic. I've been read sonnets, but that didn't have nearly as much swoon-inducing effect as back issues of Mad Magazine.
Short stories might work well; Aimee Bender's are my personal favorite. But I agree wholeheartedly with the people who've suggested going to the bookstore/library together and picking something out. For me, just running my hands over the spines of all those books is something of a sensual experience.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.