Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Telephone problems!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telephone problems!
Lintu
Neophyte
Member # 238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lintu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to worry here! The guy I've been seeing for about a month seems to have totally disappeared from the planet. He told me Monday night after we went out that he'd try to call from his soccer game on Tuesday, though I wasn't expecting that too much because he's pretty serious about sports. Now it's Saturday and I still haven't heard from him. I called him up Thursday, but the phone just rang. He doesn't have an answering machine, nor does he have caller-ID. I tried again Friday and also Saturday, yet no one picked up the phone. The guy comes from a large family and there's almost always someone there to answer the phone, even if it's just a parent or a brother. The first thing my friends said when I told them that I had called and gotten no answer over several days was "is he avoiding you?". Besides the fact that he has no reason to avoid me (he wasn't acting strangely at all when I saw him last), he also doesn't have any way of knowing who's calling him since he doesn't have caller-ID.

He and I usually meet up after his hockey practice on Saturday nights, just kind of informally (he's nearly always there to play, and I usually am in the area and will stop by). He wasn't even at practice tonight, which is pretty unusual. My question is this...what should I do? It doesn't seem to be a matter of him just not calling me back (I would assume that was the case if I had been leaving messages with his brothers to have him call me). We don't go to the same school, so I won't just randomly run into him.

Any advice would be nice right now to help me calm down a bit. One friend told me that I have reason to be worried, and another told me the exact opposite. Thanks in advance =)

-Laurie-

Posts: 33 | From: Dallas, TX, USA (sometimes) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe there was a family emergency. If not, leave a little note at his house or try calling at a later time. If he really is trying to avoid you, he can't hide forever. Wait a day or so, see what happens. Maybe something unexpectant came up.
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ash
Activist
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Lintu,
i don't think he's avoiding u.. u should just cool down.. go and knock on his door, see who comes out.. .. or go to his scoccer game and see if he's there

Posts: 102 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay girl. Relax. Don't get so worked up without knowing the facts first.

I say do what SLowCookie and ash said. Just go down to his place and see what happens. If no one is around, leave a note under the door or in the mailbox.

If he really is avoiding you, I say you are better off without some guy who doesn't even have the decency to tell you he wants to cool ff your relationship.

But in the meantime, don't worry yourself silly without finding out what's going on.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lintu
Neophyte
Member # 238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lintu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't just go to his house...he lives about 50 minutes from me. The rink where he practices is our midpoint, about 20-25 minutes away from him and about 30 from me.

I don't think he's avoiding me because no one at all is picking up the phone. Even if he's out of town, this is weird, because he even called me from Orlando.

-Laurie-

Posts: 33 | From: Dallas, TX, USA (sometimes) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any mutual friends?
Posts: 67221 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lintu
Neophyte
Member # 238

Unfortunately, we don't have close mutual friends. His best friend was also on our hockey team last year, but I don't know him well at all (nor do I have his phone number). I know people who know him, (other former teammates) but no one from his school. Basically I'm not friends with anyone who talks to him on the phone on a regular basis.

=(

-Laurie-

Lintu
Neophyte
Member # 238

Ah well I called his house today and finally someone picked up!! It was his brother, who said my guy wasn't home...so I left a message for him to call me. I'll definitely give him a chance to explain, but I've gotta let him know (without being too nagging or annoying) that he really worried the you-know-what outta me!

-Laurie-

StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like things between me and my boy lately! Right now I have noooo clue where he is......I'm only partially worried at this point, but he always tells me ahead of time when he will be super busy. That helps.

Anyhow, he may just be honestly busy. Or he might be avoiding you. Maybe he just wanted some time to himself. At least you got in touch with someone, now you just need to get a hold of him. When you do tell him how worried you were and that next time he gets caught up doing other things, to give you a good warning ahead of time. I'm pretty sure he won't find you annoying for being worried about his whereabouts and whether or not he still cares for you, be honest with him about it. And as hard as it is, try not to get too worked up about it. Hope everything turns out okay.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.