Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What do YOU do for dates?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do YOU do for dates?
Hello*Kitty
Neophyte
Member # 2281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hello*Kitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need help.

It's been a while since I've dated. Normally I just hang with the clique. My group is very preppy and loves to be together and have fun. The guys I *have* dated have been juniors...I'm a freshmen. They have CARS.

Now, I'm talking to this other freshemen. I'd love to get together with him, but call me shallow...

But what the hell are we going to do to date? We come from different groups, he's a skater type and I'm ultra-preppy. So nothing with our friends. Neither of us can drive.

What do you fellow non-driving ppl do for dates? Or older people with good ideas...

------------------
::Dont piss on me and tell me it's raining!...::

Posts: 3 | From: wa | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there's tons of things you can do !!

If you don't have a car, stay in. Why not? Rent a movie, buy a pizza, and ta da!! Date a la house Tell your parents and sibs and whoever that you want the house for a few hours, and there ya go ...

If you're soooo inclined to go out and do stuff, you can go somewhere you can walk. Maybe ice skating, bowling, or movies. It's not what you do, it's who you're w/

~ Smurfie

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hello*Kitty
Neophyte
Member # 2281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hello*Kitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to open a whole new can of worms, but my parents dont know I date. I live with my grandparents and they dont believe in it. My grandma thinks touching a guy is a sin and by the time your kissing, you've got a ticket to hell.

I'm a sexual person, and my grandparents have never/will never be informed of relationships until I'm out on my own.

So, kinda puts a damper on the house thing, eh?

But thanks, Smurfy, there is always his house, etc!

Kitty

------------------
::Dont piss on me and tell me it's raining!...::

Posts: 3 | From: wa | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Voostra
Neophyte
Member # 2049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voostra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. can use the bus to get around.. It's not quite as convenient, but it works pretty well
It's harder in the winter, cuz of the usually not so hot weather... but my and my gf used to have great fun just walking around downtown. I live in kinda a touristy town, so there's usually little stuff going on, like jugglers of buskers of the street or whatnot, and there's a nice park near downtown that is nice to walk through. And walk along the seashore and stuff are always nice ..
The home idea is a good one, we have lots of fun just sitting around waching a movie or talking or playing lemmings on the computer or massaging each other or whatever.. Maybe at your bf's house tho in your case?

Hope that helps!

Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zee car is a very sensitive topic to me right now. I am turning 19 in March and I don't have a license. Why? Because the powers that be dictate that I have to sit for TWO driving tests, spend at least a THOUSAND (US dollars) taking lessons before I can take my test and hopefully pass and get my license. Following that, I have to fork out a MINIMUM of 20,000 dollars (US again) to get a dumb car.

So, me and my guy are both without cars and we get along just fine. The public transport here is good though.

Anyway, we both love to shop so we walk around window shopping. We sit down for coffee. We go play silly arcade games. We go to the beach and cycle. I go to his house to watch VCDs. He cooks for me. He comes to my place and we go to the gym. We buy a jigsaw and spend time fixing it. We go to the movies. Gee, we do a hell of alot of things. We eat. ALOT.

There are really plenty of things you can do. And it really doesn't make such big a difference that you guys hang out with totally different people. As long as you like each other and enjoy each other's company, that should be fine.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uss69
Neophyte
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uss69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lin your not from the US are you? The Public Tranport systems in the States Suck. Unless you Live in New York City or LA and they still suck.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind the transport in Manhattan/Long Island. It was expensive, but then so is everything there! Besides, driving in Manhattan will get you killed. ;p

I found it depressing how pathetic the US public transport system was elswhere, though. Its sad your governments have so little foresight.

For dates, we just do whatever we feel like. With my girl, it never felt like "dating" - we were mostly just having fun and enjoying each others company. Could be at the cinema, or grabbing a blizzard, or going walking - whatever.

Think my favourite was - as Her Smurfliness suggested - the couch. What better place is there to snuggle up and just be together til 3am or so? You don't even need a movie!

------------------
Ask not why dogs sniff each others butts...
Ask instead why you do not!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't drive either, because to be honest, I loathe cars with a passion: they're money-sinks, they're incredibly dangerous, they're bad not only for the natural environment, but at least in the US, their invention has changed the social environment/infrastructure to the point where people who are too young or poor or unskilled to own a car and drive it are at a serious disadvantage. I know I'm "not going to change anything," and I don't object to other people driving, but as a personal thing, I just couldn't bare it.

This did, in fact, put a definite damper on my dating life. When I lived someplace with NO public transport (and walking and biking also out of the question), "dates" were rare and were mostly hanging around the house, which was actually a lot of fun. We had common interests, so we did things like build computers together, take short walks, bake pies, read outloud to each other (that's one of my favorite romantic things to do!), draw together, and so on. Sometimes friends with cars would take us to see eachother and we'd go out, and to be honest, I never cared where we went. Sometimes we just drove around and didn't end up anywhere, and it was still wonderful. Of course, they were always nice enough to let us sit next to each other.

These days, I live someplace where I can walk, bike, and take the bus. I'm much happier. My favorite "date" ever is walking (a good three hour trip) to the beach in the morning, swimming and exploring, then walking through the beach-town, maybe having a picnic lunch in the park or getting ice cream cones, reading interesting articles from the local free-press newspaper outloud to eachother, giving each other backrubs, then heading back towards mainstreet, picking up litter alongside the highway and talking and holding hands when we walk over the drawbridge ('cause it's kinda scary, it shakes when the cars cross)... going to the county library or our favorite bookstore and talking to the cats there and maybe going to dinner and then the movie theater across the street before heading home.

In short, to echo what people have already said, it doesn't seem to matter what you do if you really like eachother. I had some great "dates" where we just sat around and played video games and drank orange juice.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uss...nope. I live in Singapore. BUt I am intending to go over to the States to study in another 2 years.

Will keep what you said in mind.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uss69
Neophyte
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uss69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Singapore isn't that were they cained that kid for spray painting the car?(Which that will teach him)

the US was build around the car. That plan and simple. What "public transportation" this is is owned by some private company who contracts out to the local areas. So your going to have crapy service because they one go where there is the people.

Where i live if I were to take the bus I would have to walk maybe 3 miles in the wrong direction of where i want to go for a bus stop and than it might take me a hour to get where i want to go. Lucky I have a car

Kitty Sorry I cant give any input to your problem. I've never been on a date. The pathetic life I live. I have a car but no one to date.............

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lin:
Zee car is a very sensitive topic to me right now. I am turning 19 in March and I don't have a license. Why? Because the powers that be dictate that I have to sit for TWO driving tests, spend at least a THOUSAND (US dollars) taking lessons before I can take my test and hopefully pass and get my license. Following that, I have to fork out a MINIMUM of 20,000 dollars (US again) to get a dumb car.

and why is this????
i thought that mine was bad
i have to pay £1200 for insurance!!!!
thats on a k reg <1993> 1.4i nova <for people who know what one is!>
thats like HUGE amounts of cash
but thats cos i am 17, male and have no history
so they play it safe
why so mutch for you?
~VeNT

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uss69
Neophyte
Member # 216

20,000$$$ For a car??? I got my Chevy POS for 900. It's nothing to look at but it does get me from place to place.

insurance is like 400 for me + 750 for the car.

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early-ish in the last century, when public transit systems were starting to become established and get pretty good, a lot of them were bought by car manufacturers and sabotaged. No joke. I miss Toronto's system (buses, subways, streetcars . . . streetcars that go underground . . . every few minutes), but I live in a place where there at least are buses, and I use them regularily. And there can be some romance to buses; did anyone see The Graduate, and its excape scene? The Simpsons did a parody of it, where two seniors, one in bridal garb, got into the back of a bus and just left. There's also always been something about the blue night lights they have, and the sort of people on them sometimes, that I find really cool. There was a man on the bus once who was so vocal about his political feelings (left-wing in a city that definitely ain't) that he got most everyone else there talking to him -- and even aggreeing. Incredible that something that seems so mundane can be so cool.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love buses. I'm in a pretty small city, so the buses are kind of small and cozy. Fifty cents each, and almost all the advertising inside is public service announcements, many from the local county beautification/environment organization. They all have bike racks, and they often have interesting people in them, and almost always people who are understanding when I have to bring my groceries home on the bus (heh). They do have a certain romance, and I especially like the idea that for $2 and an afternoon, a friend and I could take a random bus and end up in some part of the two counties we haven't yet seen. Only disadvantage of being in a small city is the buses stop running at 6:00, and don't run on sundays.
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if only I had picked to go to UCLA...
then my parents would have bought me a car.

Instead, i picked Berkeley, and the Bay Area has some great public transit (unless you are a pedestrian, but we won't get into the Muni's deadly track record). But y'know what? I LOVE BART. it gets me to the City in less than half an hour. Trouble is, it doesn't run late enough, so sometimes, i have to bum rides home from shows, or leave early. it is a bit frustrating in that respect, but given that car owners need to have $200 to spare every month to cover parking and parking tickets (an inevitability, no matter how good you think you are), plus gas and insurance, the car is more trouble than it's worth. Fortunately, Berkeley students get bus pass every semester than allows for free AC Transit bus rides all semester long.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uss69
Neophyte
Member # 216

Yeah that's kind of the reason why i got my car.
I moved out of my High School district and i wanted to finish the year out there but I needed my own transport or i would have to go to the slum.

I'd still like to know who has to pay 20k for a car. My Chevy POS was less than 1k(but when you factor that i needed to put in 500 bucks in a overhull a week later it's still was less than 2k)

Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

ME!

In SIngapore, you buy a Certificate to own a car before you actually buy it. The cost of that Cert could probably buy you a dozen cars. So appreciate what you have.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.