Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Better to have loved & lost, or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Better to have loved & lost, or not?
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. This is a popular saying. What's your take on it? Would you rather have had some amazing relationship and suffered the fall at the end; or, would you rather have never had the love in the first place?

[ 12-12-2009, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Alice ]

The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, hands down, and way more than once. [Smile]

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Heather! No matter how it turns out, love is worth the experience [Big Grin] Even if you get hurt in the end, there are still so many thing to learn from it and to enjoy about it. And everyone has lots of love to go around. So why not share it?
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, too! [Smile]

I find that it's also a good way for me to tell if a relationship is worth it or not. I can ask myself, "If it were to end tomorrow, would I be glad to have known this person and had this connection for as long as we did, be it a day, a year or a lifetime." I think Scarleteen does a really good job of both being positive about relationships (be it something sexual/romantic/platonic/etc.) while also being honest about transiency (although most people posting in the relationship section are writing about challenges, which is understandable for the venue.)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, absolutely yes! [Smile]

And this is something I have been thinking about a lot recently, as my 5-year-relationship ended earlier this year. It has been painful to deal with, but I have never wished that it had not happened at all. I have learned so much from this relationship, and there have been so many good moments, that I feel without a doubt that it was worth it.

And I really feel this way about every single relationship/friendship/connection that meant anything at all to me. There is always something to take away from it, so my life is richer for it and I am glad to have experienced it, even if it had to end.

Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.