Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Survivors to Look Up To

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Survivors to Look Up To
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reminded today about how many incredible survivors of sexual abuse and assault there are in the world, who have done incredible things.

It was Elizabeth Smart, today: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/05/06/1967591/elizabeth-smart-abstinence-ed/

I know that a big help in my own healing was finding out about other survivors I looked up to. Maya Angelou was a biggie for me personally, for example. Just being able to see another survivor not just survive but thrive really helped me get though my own healing, especially during hard times.

I'd love for this thread to become a list of inspiring survivors for anyone else who needs that kind of boost and positive reminder, so if you've got others to add that have inspired you, add away!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let me be the one to add YOU to the list of awesome kick-*** survivors! [Smile]

Seriously. When I came to Scarleteen as a user back in '05, and I started to put together the pieces and figure out that I had been sexually abused, it was through reading the material that you have written, and especially the material based on your own experiences, that I maintained some hope that I would be okay. Your story helped me to understand that, though I had to accept that being a survivor was part of who I was, it certainly would never be ALL I was.

[ 05-07-2013, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, shucks, Joey. Cheers for that. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Joey said. You have been my biggest inspiration Heather. Also I read through the article above an it just made me feel so so amazed by that woman. SO brave to come out to try to help others after something so horrific.
Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, good lord, you two. You're making me all misty: seriously, thanks. And I'm glad I could do that, especially since you're both amazing. [Smile]

Emily: I was hoping you'd see this piece about Elizabeth Smart. She strikes me as someone you can likely really relate to.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah she really is, especially when people say to me "why didnt you just tell on him and run away, or scream?" and she has put it pretty well about how worthless life can feel when someone has totally stripped away your whole sense of self. I think healing from the reactions and attitudes others have had about the abuse has been almost as hard as healing from the actual abuse itself.
Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was volunteering for the Orange County Rape Crisis Center in North Carolina, the staff and other volunteers there were a constant inspiration. Not everyone had this experience (or chose to share it), but a lot of folks there were really open about how they were spurred on in their work by their own experiences with rape and sexual assault. It was fantastic to see so many people who had, as part of their healing process, dedicated their time to helping others as they navigated similar situations.

Leaving that space was one of my biggest regrets in moving away from the area; it was an amazing group of people. =)

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Definitive PoMo Username
Neophyte
Member # 108740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Definitive PoMo Username     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think almost everyone who contributed to the Yes Means Yes anthology, which I revisited a few months ago. I also have a lot of real-life inspiration in my friends.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I also always have a world of admiration of everyone here who comes in or posts as a survivor. Just looking at these boards on any given day gives me plenty of people to look up to. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.