Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Letting go of the past

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Letting go of the past
littlehamster
Neophyte
Member # 107304

Icon 4 posted      Profile for littlehamster         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been with my first girlfriend for a year now (having previously only being with boys) and our sex life at the start was incredible. After the initial realisation that I am gay and that it's OK we proceeded to have lots of great sex and I was able to come very easily. Since we've got closer emotionally, however, it has become more difficult for me to have an orgasm. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I had some abusive ex-boyfriends who left me with very low self-esteem and now that she and I have started talking about it the memories are somehow getting in the way of my pleasure. She is worried that I have stopped enjoying sex with her, which is completely untrue, but we can't ignore the fact that I can only come if I masturbate myself now. It is putting a strain on our relationship and I'm desperate to recover the sex we used to have. Any ideas how I can stop my past affecting my present?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi littlehamster and welcome to scarleteen,

I'm sorry to hear that this is causing a strain in your relationship. A person's ability to orgasm has nothing to do with their level of attraction for their partner. You've said that you're able to orgasm through masturrbation. What do you think of incorporating that into your partnered sex? It's not at all unusual for someone to masturbate themselves during partnered sex.

I'm also sorry to hear that you experienced some abusive relationships. It's not unusual for negative feelings from the past to come to the surface when life is going well; I think it has something to do with feeling safe and it feeling safe to remember things.

How do you feel like your low self-esteem affects you? Have you ever gotten any support around your low self-esteem or the abusive relationships, such as from a therapist?

Do you find that the self-esteem stuff and the memories of the abusive relationships are affecting you in other aspects of your life right now besides your sexual relationship?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.