Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » I was raped and now I feel like I can't do my job anymore

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I was raped and now I feel like I can't do my job anymore
batgirl21
Neophyte
Member # 96742

Icon 11 posted      Profile for batgirl21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In June I was captured for several days and sexually/emotionally/physically abused by my former partner. The effect of the rapes on my emotional state and relationships has been really heartbreaking and devastating, but what's hurting me the most right now is how it's effected me at work. It's made my job really difficult. I work part time as a medical advocate for survivors of sexual assault. Basically I meet with survivors who are getting forensic medical exams and provide information, emotional support, referrals, and help insure that their legal rights are protected. Since being raped I don't know how to handle going into work anymore.

I had the job for a few months before being raped and I LOVED it. Every time I went into work I was hit with the overwhelming feeling that there was no place on earth that I would rather be than right there, doing my absolute best to try to support and advocate for that person. But now I feel broken open every time I come home from work. I don't want to quit but I don't know how to handle feeling so triggered all the time and even my boss noticed that I'm not as effective working with clients as I use to be. Its really been a blow to my self confidence because I really invest a lot in being able to help others, and working with survivors of trauma is what I'm going to school for and what I hope to spend the rest of my life doing. What if can't handle it and I have to give it up? I already lost so much from this, I can't handle losing my job and my dreams. I feel lost, scared, helpless, useless and I just don't know what to do anymore. [Frown] If anyone could offer me some prospective, I would be really, really, really grateful.

Posts: 14 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lauried: I'm so glad you survived these assaults, but I am so sorry you had to go through what you did.

I certainly understand how this could make doing your job much more challenging right now.

Have you been able to talk at all to your supervisors about this? perhaps, for instance, they could not only help get you some extra support, but find a way for you to do some of what you do, but in a way or ways that aren't so triggering, and work better with where you're at right now.

If it helps, chances are good you won't have to forever give up this thing that you love. Loads of us who are survivors work with survivors, including one-on-one. But I think the expectation that we'll be able to do that in the aftermath of our own trauma, especially assault trauma, is asking a whole lot of a person.

I wonder if it might also be helpful to look at this with a different perspective, as if you were talking with a victim who wasn't you. You'd probably tell her, for instance, that putting her own self-care first for a while was probably healthiest for her and the people she wanted to help, and that that's what she'd advise anyone else to do. You'd probably tell her that asking herself to be a superwoman after such a trauma is asking way too much of herself. You'd probably tell her that needing to take care of herself for a while doesn't make her broken or useless: it just makes her human.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.