Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Is it sexual harassment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it sexual harassment?
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work for an attorney currently. I was in his office the other day waiting to tell him something. He was talking on the phone with a client of his who had apparently been convicted of sexual crimes. During this phone conversation, he winked at me. I didn't think much of it, but when I mentioned this incident to someone else, they seemed to think it was a bit concerning. So, is this wink sexual harassment, given the circumstances? If so, what should I do?
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roxie102,

i'd honestly say that unless you felt uncomfortable at the time there really is nothing you need to do about this.

I certainly can't say (none of us can) what this attorney's intentions were in winking at the time he did, and I'd say your own reactions are a good indication of what you do or don't need to do about this.

So, I'd ask you, have you had cause to feel uncomfortable around this person before? Was he anything less than professional with you once he was finished his phone call?

i'm also really not sure that this would fall under the definition of sexual harassment unless, say, it had happened repeatedly.

here's some information you might find helpful:

Blinders Off:Getting a Good Look at Abuse and Assault

What I'm hearing here is that this situation was okay for you, but that you're concerned because someone else evaluated it differently. Does that sound about right?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.