Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Healing Process Progress Report

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Healing Process Progress Report
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes when you're healing from abuse or other trauma, it can be such a frustrating or long process that you can forget how far you've already come. In those moments, it can help to take real stock of your progress: you worked hard for it, after all!

So, if you're going through a healing process, what has positively changed for you already? What used to be really rough for you, but have you worked through and now find it more manageable or easier? What did you used to feel overwhelmed trying to deal with that you now feel more competent with handling? What did you used to avoid that you don't anymore? How did you used to view yourself around your trauma that has changed for the better since? What steps have you taken to take care of yourself and heal?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful thread, Heather [Smile]
I wish I had come across it sooner

I absolutely agree with your statement that the process of healing from abuse/trauma can seem like an eternity. I used to berate myself constantly for it, for the fact that I considered myself to be emotionally "weak" and "useless".

I still sometimes do that on days when I focus solely on problems that I still experience, on tasks that I have yet to complete, on days where I experience such numbness of feeling that I see no purpose in living; however, I make an effort to encourage myself too. I would congratulate myself for a job well done when I had accomplished something significant. And I would sit back and feel good about myself for a moment. [Smile]

Despite all the improvements, though, I still find myself struggling through so much. One of the things that I'm having trouble letting go is my notion that taking time to heal and recuperate is simply me being "lazy" and "wasting valuable time". I had been told the opposite from those who support me, but I can't bring myself to believe them......I see no reason why they would be okay with the fact that I'm vulnerable. Shouldn't everyone be telling me to "toughen up" instead? Wouldn't that help me to recover?

I apologise for the insecure rant.....I guess I need to pull myself together some more before I report on my recovery process, as the bad outweighs the good at the moment [Frown]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to apologize. Want to talk about this, SansNom? Glad to if you'd like.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile] .
I appreciate you responding so quickly.

I guess I just hate feeling so vulnerable and being subjected to fluctuations that I can't change. Sometimes I am really numb, other times extremely emotional...sometimes I feel relatively optimistic, other times terribly pessimistic. Most times, these days, I'm tired. So tired.

Part of it may be the anti-depressant medication, part of it PTSD or clinical depression at work; at least, according to my psychiatrist. I can't control my emotions, I can't control my anxiety (which spikes in times of stress and causes all sorts of problems), I can't make the tiredness go away. At times I can do no work; I find that problematic since my piano auditions for university admissions are coming up, and they won't go well if I'm stuck perpetually in a zombie-like state. [Frown]

I think that perhaps part of the reason why I'm such a control freak is because I've only recently realized that, in the abusive situation I was in, there was nothing that I could've done that would've prevented it.....and here I've deluded myself all this time with the notion that I was perfectly in control. [Frown]

I thought that I understood my stepfather.
I thought that I understood the situation I was in.
But I was wrong.
I was abused, but I had no idea.
I thought that he loved me and that his behaviour was simply a result of his rather impulsive and easily angered temperament.
I was wrong on both counts.

I hate feeling so helpless and the realization that I was totally helpless and at his mercy.
I hate MYSELF, most of all, for being stupid, powerless, and unable to give my loved ones what they truly need.

Sorry for the rant
I feel bad for subjecting you to my insecurities [Frown]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Things have absolutely gotten better since my dad's psych hospitalization (which I now pretty much see as the climax during the story of my turbulent family life.)

Moving out of my parent's house has been an extremely positive experience. I really feel like I've gotten off to a fresh start and finally have a "normal" life.

I have made a few friends, and hope to make a lot more. I have gotten really active in my school's premed club, and I'm really enjoying it. I feel like I am in the beginning stages of making friends there.

While my dad was in the hospital, I started seeing a therapist, which has been great. I have a lot in common with her (she is also an OB/GYN, which is the specialty I am currently most interested in pursuing), and since I am no longer working, I qualify to get it for free. Since I have moved away, we have been doing skype meetings.

Of course, school has been more time consuming and difficult than ever before, but I'm working toward something that I want more than everything, and all indicators are pointing to the idea that I'm going to be having a great time on the way.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.