Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Why do we love those who hurt us?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do we love those who hurt us?
XXXHayleyBabyXXX
Activist
Member # 44858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XXXHayleyBabyXXX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have a past of not just choosing the wrong guys but becoming extremely attached to people who treat me badly.

Why do I always have the urge to go running back knowing full well what will happen? Feels like an addiction sometimes. Some kind of traumatic bonding kinda thing??? low self esteem? or just plain stupidity? why cant I just walk away when it gets bad? Instead I let myself go through hell and for what? what am I getting out of it? sorry for rambling....i don't even know if this wil make sense to anyone just needed someone to talk to

--------------------
Be with someone who knows what they have when they have you

Posts: 73 | From: rockin the nation from a secret location haha | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask if you've yet sought out the counseling we've talked about you getting in the past?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XXXHayleyBabyXXX
Activist
Member # 44858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XXXHayleyBabyXXX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya I went for a couple of months but stopped recently because I didn't feel like I was getting anything out of it

--------------------
Be with someone who knows what they have when they have you

Posts: 73 | From: rockin the nation from a secret location haha | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was since the last time we suggested it then, sometime between February and now?

Did you voice that feeling to your counselor before you stopped going?

And when you were going, were you earnestly participating, really sharing all of these things and your history, and doing whatever things your therapist suggested?

Before you left, did you ask them to suggest a different therapist if they weren't working out for you?

[ 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hayley: I didn't mean to shut you down there, it just seems like you're asking us to try and do a kind of analysis that's really what only someone can do who sees you every week over time in a therapy setting.

We can talk more broadly about why people can have a hard time staying away from or getting out of abuse dynamics if you like, though. It's just that ultimately, in order to really change how you are in this respect, you're likely going to need some good, ongoing, in-person help.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.