Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » 3 Years and I can't get over it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3 Years and I can't get over it
Meta
Neophyte
Member # 50920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sexually abused at 15 by a boyfriend. First he said "It's okay if we don't have sex" then it was, "I'm breaking up with you if we don't!"

I spent every moment with him for 3 weeks and he constantly brought my self esteem down. I gave into his commands as I grew tired of him pushing me onto the bed and trying to get his way. I though if I just got it over with...it'd be fine. I never got the chance to say yes or no. It was that or he'd break up with me, and I was so young I couldn't think of anything else. I was so stupid.

I even wanted him back after he got violent a couple times and dumped me. How pathetic! It took weeks for me to realize what he did. When I told my friends, they said it was my fault and they doubted it happened because he was such a nice guy. Then someone told me he did it to a lot of girls. We went to the same high school and he tormented me daily. All friends turned against me and I was alone. Thankfully, I'm out of the situation now and in a college.

Is it even rape? He was 17 and I was just barely 15. Can I take him to court? Nobody knows and I don't want everyone to know just for the case to get defeated.
It's been three years and I can't get over it. I feel ruined.

Posts: 1 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that you had an experience of abuse, Meta, and that you're struggling to heal.

I don't think you were stupid, for the record. It's often very tough to make sound choices when we're in abuse dynamics, because those dynamics are so manipulative. I don't think you were pathetic, either: abuse all by itself often doesn't automatically change our feelings about someone.

Rape is when someone does something sexual to, on or inside of someone else's body without their express consent and permission, or when they wear someone down with some type of coercion or force -- including emotional or verbal -- to make that happen. Threatening someone with something, like leaving them, to make them have sex is a sexual abuse, for sure.

Could you report him and create a court case? Possibly: certainly the former. Unfortunately, the latter will be difficult or unlikely if you didn't make a report then and go in to a hospital so they could collect physical evidence. But at the very least, you can always a file a report so that if and when he does this to someone else and THEY report right away and can have a case, your report can support their evidence. Do you want to get connected with a resource that could fill you in on your options with that?

As well, have you ever had any counseling or support groups to help you heal from this? We'd be happy to help you look into where to find those services too, if you'd like.

[ 12-17-2010, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.