Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » I dont understand

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I dont understand
XXXHayleyBabyXXX
Activist
Member # 44858

Icon 9 posted      Profile for XXXHayleyBabyXXX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question that's kind of been in the back of my mind for a long time is do abusers actualy love their victims?

I just dont get it
They're jealous and controlling but isn't the root cause they're scared we'll leave?
I know ultimately it dosn't matter if they love us or not if they're not willing to treat us well I just want to understand and I don't get it

Why do they stay with us if they don't love us? Why are they so scared we'll find someone else if they don't care for us.

I don't really know how to phrase the question but I guess I'm askin if all abusers really are just evil people who don't care about their partners or are they just so screwed up in the head that they're incapable of loving someone in a healthey way?

I know there is no excuse for abuse but I must have meant something to him right? He must have felt something or why would he have bothered trying so hard to make me take him back?

Ever since it's been going around in my head and I just can't stop. Whether he loved me or not I'm not going back I'm just struggling to accept the fact that he never really gave a sh*t bout me, if that's even true. It makes sense after everyting he did but at the same time it's hard to beleive when the relationship wasn't all bad

--------------------
Be with someone who knows what they have when they have you

Posts: 73 | From: rockin the nation from a secret location haha | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They often think they do.

The trouble is, most of them confuse love with control. They don't understand they are profoundly different things, things that are actually at odds with each other.

While all abusive people are not the same, they most often stay because they need the control just that much, and are scared their partners will leave because it proves they don't have the control they want.

I think it's also important to remember that someone who abuses is still a whole person like everyone else: they're not one-dimensional, not about nothing BUT the abuse. While that doesn't mean they're safe to be with, or that it's wise to be in a relationship with them, it's why there are parts of them that seem just fine, because there probably are.

I don't know if I've suggested this for you before, but if not, I think you'd really benefit from reading Lundy Bancroft's "Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds Of Angry and Controlling Men." It's an excellent book that answers all of these questions very well, one people who work in abuse tend to find very, very helpful.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.