Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Am I wrong for thinking this way?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I wrong for thinking this way?
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niecy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my friends were talking and then my friend james brought up a girl in our class who got an abortion. So i said I dont think abortions are bad and that everyone should be pro choice towards it so all my friends plus the entire class got mad and said i was stupid, cruel, ignorant because i dont see anything wrong with abortions. Am i wrong? I understand your taking life away from a child and not giving it a chance but i mean isnt it just like a zygote for a few months and not an actual child? And like the kid could be a bad kid or could die anytime during or after pregnancy right so isnt it like a 50/50 chance that it would live a full life? I think Americans are the most selfish people ever. Yes im american myself but why is it that we as people force our beliefs of what is right and wrong onto other people when really it should be that if it doesnt affect you, you dont like it, or if its not your problem then you shouldnt care what other people are doing. Its supposed to be
"The Land Of The free" but it seems to me thats its not even that if you arent free to do as you please personally. My friend James is gay and he's the main "abortion hater" but he's upset because he cant marry as a gay man so he's sayin he should have the right to do whatever in his personal life but shouldnt those who want to end a pregnancy have the same? Do yu agree that its selfish how he's sayin he wishes abortions was illegal but he's upset because gay marriage is? Like they both are rights we all should have. Who are we to say someone cant have an abortion or someone cant be gay? I too understand that if you can take care of a kid then you shouldnt have had sex but i mean wouldnt it be the same as you knew smoking and doing drugs could seriously harm you or kill you so you should suffer from all the cancer and be denied treatment and medicine you pay for? ( Does that make sense? ) And like with the healthcare bill alot of adults were complaining about the high taxes but its worth it knowing that your grand kids and their grandkids are going to always have health coverage and not just see it as "i dont want to give my money so that some stranger can have health insurance because of me". Why cant we all do what we feel is best for us as individuals and not put down, discriminate, take away peoples options, or force what we want on anybody? Mainly, Why arent people pro choice?

Posts: 38 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niecy, I think you're awesome. [Smile]

I wish I had an easy answer for why everyone isn't supportive of full reproductive choice for all women. If we had that answer, we might be able to better assure all women did.

Why a given person isn't tends to vary: different people will tend to have different answers, but personally, I tend to privilege what people say who have an actual stake in this: women. Your friend James might feel the same way when it comes to people who aren't gay legislating the rights of those who are. Hopefully, as he grows some more, he'll be able to connect some dots and realize that someone telling women what we can and can't do, or should and should not, with our own bodies, hearts and lives is the same stuff as someone telling him the same thing.

Sometimes ignorance is at root of a lot of this, too. Wishing abortion was illegal is, literally, wishing for the deaths of many women: that's what happens when abortion is illegal, and we know this both from history and from what happens in places where it is.

I think a lot of what you're saying here is really spot-on and really valuable. Alas, you're preaching to the choir here, as Scarleteen in a pro-choice site and organization that fully supports the right of people to choose what happens in and to their own bodies.

Just an FYI, so you can be sure you have your facts straight, fetal development is such that a zygote is what we call the cell that results when sperm fertilize an egg. That stage lasts for the first few cell divisions that happen in fetal development, for around four days. Then, if the pregnancy sustains, it's a blastocyst, if it sustains further it becomes an embryo. Medically speaking, an embryo or fetus isn't considered "an actual child" until (if) it is either born or has reached what's called viability, a stage of development where it could survive outside of the womb. Viability varies, but it's usually considered to be at around 24 weeks, which is also typically the legal limit for elective abortion.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niecy
Neophyte
Member # 44604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niecy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks [Smile] But yeah i knew it was something like that with the fetus and stuff. I just wish that people could really have a change of heart.
Posts: 38 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, Niecy. Me too. But in the meantime, it's great that you're so stalwart about defending our right to choose.

Not sure if our page on this will help in your conversations with people, but it might: http://www.scarleteen.com/why_were_pro_choice

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.