Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Is he changing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is he changing?
XXXHayleyBabyXXX
Activist
Member # 44858

Icon 9 posted      Profile for XXXHayleyBabyXXX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you tell if an abusive person is really changing?

I'm considering trying to work stuff out with my ex and he seems to be making alot of the changes I asked for but I'm scared it won't last. Am I crazy for thinking maybe he's finaly learnt his lesson?

--------------------
Be with someone who knows what they have when they have you

Posts: 73 | From: rockin the nation from a secret location haha | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A really difficult think about these types of relationships is that if the person was abusive from the beginning, we wouldn't have dated them. So they're often people that are able to show the face that needs to be seen, at least for a little while. How do you feel about this, knowing some of the things that had happened in the past with this partner?

Too? It takes time, a lot of focus and work, and help to change. In the end the person has to want to change for themselves. What types of help had this partner sought out?

[ 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XXXHayleyBabyXXX
Activist
Member # 44858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XXXHayleyBabyXXX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the first really big fight I said I'm done unless he gets counselling which he's been doing ever since. We actualy broke up because he ended up in jail (nothing he did to me). We only recently started contacting each other again and don't know how much longer it'll be until he's out but seems to me like it scared him big time.

I think he's learnt his lesson and won't wanna end up back in there but hard to tell if he's making real changes or just tryning to get back in my good books

--------------------
Be with someone who knows what they have when they have you

Posts: 73 | From: rockin the nation from a secret location haha | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what I'd suggest is take things REALLY slow. Start as friends first if that's something you are okay with - kind of test the waters. See if he's following friendship's boundaries before thinking yet of moving forward.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.