Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Help me!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me!
billsbillsbills
Neophyte
Member # 40004

Icon 4 posted      Profile for billsbillsbills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so now my girlfriend was raped by one of her friends. I don't know how to help her... This happened before but by her ex boyfriend. She never got help because she didn't tell anyone. Please help me help her. I don't know what to do!
Posts: 14 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can refer her to all of the same links that we gave you recently as a place to start.

She also has the option of coming here herself to talk about this, or she can use the RAINN hotline. If she wants to report her rape, she also can start at her local police station.

Is she asking you for a certain kind of help expressly?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billsbillsbills
Neophyte
Member # 40004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billsbillsbills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not a certain kind. i told her to call the cops already.

I know it happened I was on the phone with her when it happened...

Thanks Heather. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused.

You were on the phone while she was being raped? You heard her being raped?

Is there a reason YOU didn't call the police or haven't yet, given it sounds like you were an indirect witness to this?

I may not understand what you're saying here, but if I have, and you listened to her being raped while on the phone, I'm not really sure what to make of that or sure I understand what went on here.

[ 08-26-2008, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best that you can do is to offer her different abuse resources, and to let her know that you are available to talk. If you notice any unusual behavior, like she doesn't go out as much as she used to, or she seems to say away from her friends, then you could become more proactive about finding her help. Perhaps offering to take her to see a counselor, or staying by her side when she calls RAINN.

Sometimes people just need someone to listen, so perhaps just lending an ear can help tremendously.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Hey, Blue? When we come in and ask a user questions to clarify, it usually tends to work best if we give them a chance to answer those, okay? That way we can be sure we're advising them as best we can, and also not overwhelming with too many cooks in the kitchen. Thanks!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

billsbillsbills
Neophyte
Member # 40004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billsbillsbills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I don't live near her so I couldn't call the cops....
Heather
Member # 3

I still feel like I really need to understand what exactly happened here before I can give the most applicable information.

(For the record, though? If you are ever witness to a crime, you do NOT need to be in someone's area to call the police. You can call 911 and just let them know where the crime is happening, or call that local police department. And you can STILL make that call if you heard your girlfriend being raped on the phone, but again, I'd need more information to know how to best advise you on that one.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

billsbillsbills
Neophyte
Member # 40004

Oh I didnt know you could be like 500 miles away and still call the cops for them... interesting...

thanks but I told her parents because she asked me to and now they're getting her help..

no need for this post anymore. thank you

Heather
Member # 3

I still don't understand what happened here.

But since you don't seem to want to clarify -- which is fine -- I do just want to make clear that if you ever know someone is being raped while you are speaking to them, I implore you to absolutely DO something, right there and then.

Call the police, ask someone else for help, anything to STOP what is going on and get that person help as quickly as possible. Someone talking to you on the phone while an assault is happening, or having you in some way present at the time, is going to be depending on you for that aid.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

billsbillsbills
Neophyte
Member # 40004

yeah if you can, can you please close this topic? thank you heather [Smile]
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
(Hey, Blue? When we come in and ask a user questions to clarify, it usually tends to work best if we give them a chance to answer those, okay? That way we can be sure we're advising them as best we can, and also not overwhelming with too many cooks in the kitchen. Thanks!)

Sorry I jumped the gun there.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Bills: I'd prefer not to, since you may have more questions about this event later and because other users who may have been or find themselves in similar situations may want to continue the discussion, too.

In general, it's not our policy to close topics arbitrarily. But if you have a specific concern, please let me know.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

billsbillsbills
Neophyte
Member # 40004

Ohkay. its okay. thanks though

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.