Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » please help me!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please help me!
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Jenhastoomuchparanoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in an emotionally abusive relationship and I love him and have grown so dependent on him but he calls me stupid and everything and then when we're happy we're so happy together but when he's depressed because I talk to one of my friends or wear a shirt that shows a little neck he gets so mad at me. I am creepy, stupid, moron, idiot, a bitch, everything. what do I do?? I can't leave him I'm in love. and I don't know how to deal with him if he leaves me. and this link kind of applied everything that is happening so please help me...

http://www.lilaclane.com/relationships/emotional-abuse/

Posts: 51 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenhastoomuchparanoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he makes me feel so below myself. I have to blow off my friends, wear jackets over my clothes, everything. I can't work up the nerve to break up with him...I don't know what to do. maybe I AM stupid and creepy and weird and dumb I AM all those things he call me....I just didn't think that the guy who says he loves me with all his heart would say it so bluntly and say that when I do those things it breaks his heart and depresses him.
Posts: 51 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which ones out of the Abusive Partner Checklist would you say apply to your situation?
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jen - a guy who dictates how you dress or who you can talk to, and a guy who calls you names on a regular basis is NOT someone you can have a safe, healthy relationship with. And it sounds like you're aware of that, too.

In your first sentence, you say that you love him but that you're dependent on him. Know that dependency and love are two very different things, and being emotionally dependent on a partner is never a good thing. With abusive relationships of any kind it can be difficult to leave them because the abusive partner manipulates you into staying (for example, by having 'honeymooon phases' like the ones you mentioned, where everything is absolutely super for a little while).

So. Do take a look at our checklist that Lauren linked you to and give this some more thought. We'll be happy to talk to you about what you come up with.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenhastoomuchparanoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checklist
[x] My partner is very jealous, gets jealous easily (he mentions my ex a lot and my glasses resembling his and stuff)
[x] My partner follows me around, checks up on me a lot (he feels he needs to check up on me and what I do because I'm stupid and can't handle myself)
[x] My partner tries to control how I dress or who I spend time with (friends, family, coworkers) [hardcore issue. but I've tried to change for him..]
[x] My partner yells, calls me names, puts me down [ I could show you conversations..and I just might.]
[x] I hide things that I think would upset or anger my partner (phone numbers, letters, photos)[I can't necessarily show him pictures of me and my friends or he'll say it depresses him. or tell him that I talk to them]
[] I am afraid to say no to sex
[x] My partner threatens me, or has threatened me (he threatened to break up)
[]My partner hits, throws or breaks things when angry
[x] I am fraid to disagree with my partner (he will get more angry and the situation will worsen..)
[] My partner has pushed, slapped, punched or otherwise hurt me
[x]I feel like my partner's anger is my fault (he has made me feel like it really truly is my fault.)

there have been honeymoon phases and those are so worth it. it makes me so happy inside and my heart flutters. but for all those other phases of the cycle it literally kills me.

[Frown] I don't know what to do or say to him anymore...except I love you. [Frown]

Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

we had a moment where we were scared about pregnancy and were trying to find someone to help us out that was 18 and could get the pills for us. and somewhere in that day he mentioned how my clothes were short. (WHICH THEY ARE NOT!)

edited

and later on that day I mentioned how I needed him to at least be there for me and with me instead of fighting over the clothes issue...his response....it's long but please read it..

edited

[ 09-01-2007, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crossing off more than two on that list is a huge red flag, and you've marked a bunch of them.

The first thing I want to mention about that is that jealousy is not a sign of his love. It is a sign of insecurity. Someone who's confident will trust that you're with them for a reason and aren't going to run off with someone else. So, please don't mistake his extreme jealousy for proof that he loves you.

The second - you are not stupid. You do not need someone following you around to make sure you're not screwing up. And someone who supposedly loves you should support you, not put you down like that.

Third - while we oftentimes need to make compromises in a relationship, we should never have to make huge changes about who we are to please a partner. And wearing what you want to and hanging out with your friends? Those are NEVER things you should have to sacrifice for a partnership. In fact, being your own person and having a life of your own are important parts of being in a succesfull partnership. The point of a relationship isn't to make a partner your life - it's to make that partner a part of your life.

And lastly, your partner's anger is not your fault. We all sometimes annoy each other in relationshps, but if your partner is telling you that you are always the cause for his moods (depression, anger, whatever) then that's neither fair nor true and you shouldn't accept that blame. If he can't handle his emotions maturely, then that's his issue, not yours.

Here's the thing: The point of a relationship is for it to enrich your life, to contribute to your happiness. Of course there will always be things to work through in a partnership, but they should not be things that 'literally kill', and they should not take up such a huge amount of time and energey. Any relationship were you're not happy and satisfied with it most of the time, is a relationship where you should reconsider whether its worth being in. What do you get out of this relationship? Are you happy with it mot of the time? How do you feel about your partner? Is he a friend and a true partner (rather than someone who orders you around), someone who supports and respects you?

My honest opinion on this relationship is that it's not healthy or beneficial for you, and that you'd likely be better off without this guy.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

[Frown] how do I do that! [Frown] everytime he mentions breaking up I beg! he even called me pathetic once! and I agreed, I am pathetic but I love him, I begged, have beg all the time for his forgiveness I don't even know how to work up telling him that I want to leave.
today I mentioned about this:

Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:52:07 AM): I don't know what's wrong with me. and I don't know what's wrong with you lately,
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:52:20 AM): I've realized I've grown really dependent on you
Justin (9/1/2007 11:52:38 AM): Oh WTF?
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:52:38 AM): you scare me and I'm afraid of doing things wrong or you'll be hurt
Justin (9/1/2007 11:53:04 AM): God
Justin (9/1/2007 11:53:28 AM): Whatever i don't give a **** anymore
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:53:52 AM): I love you
Justin (9/1/2007 11:54:07 AM): Maybe what's wrong with me is you
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:54:43 AM): it's not. you always turn things on me
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:54:56 AM): I love you
Justin (9/1/2007 11:55:02 AM): IT IS YOU
Justin (9/1/2007 11:55:22 AM): I DON'T LOVE YOU SO SHUT UP
Justin (9/1/2007 11:55:36 AM): HOW CAN YOU THINK IT IS NOT YOU?
Justin (9/1/2007 11:56:02 AM): SO STUPID
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:57:41 AM): IT IS NOT ME! YOU! YOU'RE EMOTIONALLY ABUSIVE TOWARDS ME, you call me names and everything. you've made me afraid of talking and doing things
Justin (9/1/2007 11:57:41 AM): IT IS YOU
Justin (9/1/2007 11:58:25 AM): THEN DON'T TALK TO ME
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:58:33 AM): I LOVE YOU
Jennifer (9/1/2007 11:58:49 AM): I love you that I have to. I want to.
Justin (9/1/2007 11:59:01 AM): I don't care

he's angered I figure. but I know he cares about me..it's that feeling when he kisses me and holds me [Frown] I'm so blind. where do I go what do I say. how can I beat this whole dependable thing and do something?

Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

that was the first time I've mentioned him being abusive. was that the right step? does he understand? how do they even think...because I know they think they're always right and I know that I can never win in arguments ever. sigh.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jen -- we understand that you want specfic input on your situation, but we must ask that you edit out the specifics of the IM conversation, and instead paraphrase what was said. It's not within our policies to make communication that was assumed private public domain, not to mention this is for your safety -- it would be quite easy for him to know it was you, should he go snooping, for example.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

okie dokie then. sorry. didn't know that :)do appreciate the help though. I'm just freaking out not knowing where to turn anymore. :/
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Oh, honey. This guy doesn't sound like a respectful, supportive partner at all.

I get that there are times when you enjoy being with him. But are they worth all of the pain he is putting you through? What does he give to yu that makes it worth staying with him? Try to think about (if it helps, make a list) the things that he adds to your life that are positive, that make you feel good (about yourself, the relationship, etc) and the things that he adds that are painful and that damage your self-esteem. In a healthy relationship, the positive side of that list should, by far, outweigh the negative side. Anything else is not worth your time and you deserve much, much better.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Not a problem -- we're just concerned about your anonymity remaining intact, as with any poster with an abusive partner. I've read through it, though, and gotten the picture.

This relationship is not safe for you, to say the least. Nobody should withhold love and affection as "punishment", let alone for as petty a reason as clothing or who you spend time with, and further let alone at a time you're so stressed out.

Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

I'm currently making a list. thanks for the help you guys. I don't necessarily know how I am going to approach anything about breaking up but I have friends that want me to really bad because school just started and I've already had to blow them off and they obviously notice it's because of him. I guess I have to try I'm just afraid. I've cried so much over this guy for so many different things. I'm not saying I was a good girlfriend, I've made really bad mistakes,but I cared for him. he was mad at me and sad and said I broke his heart because I broke the promise that I'd stop talking to my friends and wear nicer clothes. and I was so cautious with all of that, but somehow I couldn't just stop talking to my friends, especially when they're there for me when he get smad and i have problems, and the clothes even if I wear a turtleneck it will somehow be too short or something. I expected him not to care about what I wear and who I talk to. He should love me and just me. not criticize everything that he knew I had when we first went out after 4-5 months of going out. and i've been dealing with this for 9 months already..
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Honey, wearing the clothes you want to wear and talking to your friends are not mistakes. Those are perfectly natural and normal things to do. You should never be expected to make promises about sacrificing your independence to that extent, especially not to a partner who should be with you because they like who you are, rather than trying to mould you into someone else.

It sounds like you've got some good friends who are seeing the situation for what it is and would be willing to support you and help you through a break-up. Is there someone you particularly trust and would feel comfortable talking to about this? If so, I really encourage you to do that.

You are absolutely right. A partner who truly loves you, should love you for who you are. Their love should not come with conditions and be hinged on the kinds of clothes you wear and whether you're willing to give up your life for them.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also, listen to what he's saying to you -- "I don't love you" kept coming up over and over again. That's not something that a boyfriend should say, and he kept saying it over and over again. You deserve a relationship where you both love each other, and you both support each other, and you both care about whether or not the other person is happy and healthy and thriving. This ain't it -- this jerk is calling you stupid and retarded for being a normal person with feelings.

Like joey said, who do you have that you can turn to for support? Friends? Parents? Other adults in your life that you trust?

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

I didn't know that was an actual question. um I do have friends and family. family just being my mom. I can't talk to my dad really about relationship stuff. my mom and friends have been trying to help me.

I want to somehow get him to accept that he is so maybe he could at least change. and maybe that would make this situation better or something! but it's been so long and it keeps prolonging. what if we do break up. and he gets a new girlfriend I dont' want anyone to deal what I have gone through. ever.

and with the list. there are 24% good things and 76% bad. really. and I can't think of anymore good things at the moment but I want to at least add on to it. [Frown] he's just changed so much since we first went out to someone who complimented me all the time and said how I was perfect for him to being someone who is overly stupid and so imperfect i could've never imagined.

Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

I didn't know that was an actual question. um I do have friends and family. family just being my mom. I can't talk to my dad really about relationship stuff. my mom and friends have been trying to help me.

I want to somehow get him to accept that he is so maybe he could at least change. and maybe that would make this situation better or something! but it's been so long and it keeps prolonging. what if we do break up. and he gets a new girlfriend I dont' want anyone to deal what I have gone through. ever.

and with the list. there are 24% good things and 76% bad. really. and I can't think of anymore good things at the moment but I want to at least add on to it. [Frown] he's just changed so much since we first went out to someone who complimented me all the time and said how I was perfect for him to being someone who is overly stupid and so imperfect i could've never imagined.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

It's important, if you're dealing with trying to get out of an abusive relationship, to have a good support system. So if your mother and your friends are on your side and helping you out, that's awesome.

Have you shared with them that you are thinking about breaking-up? You could show them your list, or just mention that you've started to re-think this relationship and are starting to doubt that it's a healthy, safe relationshp for you to be in. I'm sure they'd love to help you sort out your thoughts and feelings and figure out what to do next.

I can't recall you mentioning how long you and your partner have been together, but know that the first few months of a relationship are when most people are still making a real effort to leave a really good impression. So if you feel like your partner has changed, that's likely not the case at all: he has simply started being the person he really is. Which is also why, honestly, I don't think there's much of a chance of this guy realizing that he's being a jerk and trying to fix it.

Your list is pretty obvious, isn't it? This guy spends a whole lot more time making you unhappy than he does making you happy. And that's simply not the point of being in a relationship. You don't need to have this guy around if all he does is make you miserable.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

I don't know... we've been together for 9 months.
they are really trying to help me out it's just I'm not willing to do it I haven't actually tried to in the first place just constant rethinking things over. [Frown]

recently he has made me feel bad for something that maybe is really my fault. the thing was I left during lunch at school to go with people he really really hate. but I mean I don't care I'm nice to everyone so I was just okay..even though I've tried to really tune people out. and well, I left with them, and he found out and he said to me "either you left thinking of me (and knowing how he feels) and did it anyways, or you did it without thinking of me at all" either way it is still bad!

that made me feel bad. I would seem to be at fault correct? =/ quite a pickle.

he really words things out to make things seem like I should know better or should change. like clothes he'll say he just doesn't want me to be revealing. friends he says he just doesn't want me to talk to stupid people. (which he think everyone is, and my association recently with the people he hates has classified me along with stupid people for him) and I mean we are stupid, everyone is stupid, but they were still my friends nonetheless.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

You keep assuming the blame he's handing out, even though the things you are doing are not mistakes.

A partner never has the right to dictate who you hang out with, much less to tell you that you cannot hang out with anyone, ever. If you had, say, friends who were involved in crazy illegal activities and pulling into to that on a regular basis, your partner would have a valid right to be concerned, but he would still not have the right to forbid you to meet them. And telling you to not meet with your friends because they are 'stuipd'? Way, way out of line. Understand this, Jen: You are not only allowed to have friends, you absolutely should have your own social circle. That is healhty and normal.

So, nope, you did not make a mistake there. You are not at fault.

I cannot encourage you enough to start talking about this to your friends and/or your mother. By keeping this from them and listening only to your boyfriend, you're only hearing his point of view all the time. By forbiding you to see your friends, he is basically making you dependent on him. All you ever hear or see is his thoughts and there is no room for other opinions.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, even if you made a mistake (and I don't think you did), that doesn't mean that you DESERVE to be abused for it, or that you deserve to be treated poorly all the time.

In healthy relationships (and this is not a healthy relationship you're in), when people make mistakes, they talk them through and then they either forgive each other or end the relationship if they can't.

Honey, he's an abusive ******* and you deserve better. It's hard to admit it, it's hard to let go of someone you love, but it's the truth: he's the stupid one here, and you're smart enough to realize it.

How can we help you get out of this situation? What do you need?

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

what I need is definitely courage.

I've heard from many point of views and they've all told me to do the same thing. I haven't made a move at all though, I can't, If I ever think of breaking up and being the one to initiate it, when i talk to him, it just doesn't come out at all. my words are tangled and I find myself unable to explain myself and unable to speak.

I have found myself listening to the song "without you" by Air Supply for so many times. and the phrase "i can't give, I can't give anymore" seems to be what I feel, but then I hear them sing that they "can't live if living is without you" and I feel like that too.

maybe before I did live single for however long and I was happy at some point even though I did long for love and I was okay, I lived perfectly fine like everyone else, but now that I have him I find myself not being able to imagine not being in his arms or having the privilege to hold him and kiss him. and I can't stand the thought of him being embraced by another person or anything.

I have to clench to my heart sometimes because it literally hurts all this mess. I haven't eaten anything since Friday and I can't sleep it's getting to the point where I don't know if I can do anything anymore to make things work other than apologize and try and make things work all the time.

I feel like I've made him sad and I know I have, I admit he has no right to do those things, but I did tell him I'd stop for him. and I didn't. even if it IS a stupid reason to get sad and depressed even heartbroken over, I do realize that I did this to him. and for all the pain that he has caused me, it hurts more for me to cause them to him.

although I do have people to talk to. and to try and be there for me when things are blown over and the conclusion is a breakup, I'd feel there is a hole somewhere in me that can't be replaced and healed. because I have made him a part of me even if he has not, if he has made me his life, my thought before was "shouldn't I do that too?" therefore all my sacrifices. but I made him a part of me because I love him. how do I end my love for him and undo everything like that and everything we've been through.

he told me that he must love me more to be able to stand all the things I do. and I think I love him more for me standing his abuse. but if we both love each other, but are unhappy, then what do we do now? how can there be anything to do that wouldn't end in something bad?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Break-ups hurt. They always do, no matter how and why the relationshp ended. There is always something there that made us want to be with thar person, even if it's long gone, even if it's not worth all the pain. It's there, and it's what we chose to remember when it's over.

But. That doesn't mean that sometimes we don't just need to end a relationship. Relationships that cause my pain than anything else, relationships that are abusive and unsafe - those aren't relationships worth being in. And your relationship is really unhealthy for you. You would be much better off ending it.

[ 09-03-2007, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.