Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Controling BF - Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Controling BF - Help!
itallfallsdwn
Neophyte
Member # 19028

Icon 4 posted      Profile for itallfallsdwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys - I need some help. My friend is dating this guy who is a real asshole. He won't let her hang out with me or any of her other friends. We try to hang out, but when we do, we have to create this huge lie so he won't find out. Once he did find out, and he slapped her (she wouldn't tell me if he did anything more). I'm really worried about her - I don't think she's safe. Why is he doing this? Have you guys ever experienced anything like this? What did you do?
Posts: 1 | From: MD | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's not safe. That isn't merely "controlling." What you're describing here is abuse.

Isolating a person as well as physically abusing them are very distinct markers of abuse. Your friend needs out, sooner, not later. Why he's doing this is irrelevant: it's her that's important here.

What are her parents like? Might they be helpful if you talked to them? Or yours? How about teachers at school or a guidance counselor? Any trusted adult who will help her take action, starting by getting away from this guy, will work.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
windycityskacore
Activist
Member # 19031

Icon 13 posted      Profile for windycityskacore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I agree here. This is not chill at all. You should really talk to your freind about this because right now, she's gonna need your help. It takes strength for people to get out of relationships like this, but also support. I don't know your freind but SHE DOES deserve a guy that will treat her well--everybody does.

Miz Scarlet put it pretty straight, so I won't reiterate anything she's already said, but I will mention again that she needs to leave this relationship and you need to tell somebody.

I dunno if this would be good advice, but, depending on who this guy is, you should also spread the word about him. People should know who this guy is, although if he is a real head-case, then this could be dangerous. Maybe somebody else can endorse or condemn this idea, but this shouldn't be a secret.

I hope this is okay advice. This is my first post and I hope I helped a little.

Posts: 49 | From: Chillinois, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver1381
Activist
Member # 18771

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Silver1381     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definetly talk about this situation to a trusted adult even if your friend asks you not to. Not doing something now could have a negative impact on her safety around this guy if he's already slapping her for being around you and her other friends.
Posts: 123 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.