Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Abuse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abuse?
Surf Chicklet
Activist
Member # 11403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surf Chicklet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright..I searched this and I got a thread on child abuse, but my case is a litte bit different, Im not 100% sure how to handle it.
See, my mom and dad are pretty well thought of in our town, nice people except for when it comes to this, so nobody would *ever* believe me if I told them this. But it's really happening. If my father, (its mostly my father) gets upset at me, instead of getting upset of yelling or doing something *halfway normal* he pulls my hair or kicks me or just slaps me, somtimes pushing my face into a table, choking me, etc.. I've tried to talk to him about this, saying that thats not a good way to handle it, and that though Im sorry for acting rude, he didn't need to do that. But he just laughs at me, and tells me he didnt do anything wrong, or that I deserved it.
I know that kids used to get beat up all the time when he was growing up, (thats what he says) but I dont think he knows things are different now. Is there any laws against what he's doing? I feel bad because with everything else, hes a good person who I can usually talk to, but when he gets upset he's just scary. I'd like to show him that it's not right to do something like this, but I dont know how or where to start. How should I react?

Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our grandparents' generation was, as a whole, neither stupid nor cruel. It was NOT okay to slap around or hurt kids then, and it still ain't, which is why assault is a criminal offense. You're doing well by trying to communicate with your father about the issue, but you'd be wise to speak to a guidance counsellor at school about finding further resources.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

It was a good lay. . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, it is common for parents who were abused as children to continue that chain and abuse their own.

But it is also common for parents who were abused as children to seek out help, learn to parent differently, and treat their children as they should have been treated.

Are there laws against what he's doing? Absoluttely. What he is doing is pphysical abuse, and it can be deadly and greatly injurous, physically and emotionally. Whether or not he's a good person doesn't help keep you safe from harm, when that "good person" is choking you. And a good person will want NOT to abuse or injure others: they will want to stop.

So, as Milke says, I'd seriously encourage you to talk to a school counselor or to your local department of children and family services.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.