Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Girlfriend raped

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girlfriend raped
avp07
Neophyte
Member # 27606

Icon 10 posted      Profile for avp07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend was raped last week. Both of us are virgins, and we were about to have our first time when this happened. My specific concern is about her having caught any STD's from her attacker. She said he used a condom, and it didn't break. She went to the doctor a few days later, and he said she hadn't caught anything. However, I have read several places online that you can't be sure about some diseases until up to 6 months later. What are the chances that she caught anything, and what can I do safely to give her pleasure, without using large amounts of protection that would make her feel like there was something wrong with her, but without a significant risk of catching an STD?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She will need testing at least once more over the next six months to be relatively certain.

Flatly? Right now you can hold off on sex or a while, per giving her pleasure. It would be very unusual for such a recent rape survivor to be in any emotional space for sex right now. Help her get the support and counseling she needs, let her know you're here for her and happy to wait on any form of sex while she sorts this out.

And when the time IS right, simply use latex barriers. We'd have advised that even if this hadn't happened, virgins or no.

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
avp07
Neophyte
Member # 27606

Icon 10 posted      Profile for avp07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Scarlet. She actually seems to want to have sex, which is why I posted here. She said she doesn't want to let what happen to her change her life.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it WILL. It WILL change things: it does. It sucks that it does, it's horrible that it does, but it does. No one can walk away from a rape unchanged.

Really, has she talked to a counselor?

Because I would seriously advise she does. Yes, there are exceptions, but sex this soon could easily end up traumatized MORE. She really should talk with a pro before making that decision, and I'd encourage you, if you care about her, to encourage her to do the same as a caveat before YOU are willing to consider sex, out of care for her.

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
avp07
Neophyte
Member # 27606

I'll do that.
Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI?

She should have been given resources when she reported the rape, if she did that: resources for support groups and counseling, resources for her continued health, the works. At the very least, the doctor she saw should have given those to her.

If she did not report, RAINN is a good place to start to get resources nationally via a free, anonymous hotline service, which is:1-800-656-HOPE.

We also have several support group threads here at Scarleteen for abuse and assault survivors, so there are other survivors for her to talk to right here if she prefers, or wants that additionally.

One last thing? I don't want to come off as accusatory, but getting STI results takes time. If this happened last week, and she saw the doctor a few days later, she could not yet have her results back, especially given the weekend. She could have been told per a visual examination that she did not appear to have any injuries, nor did she appear to have any HPV or Herpes sores (but that'd be irrelevant, since they tend not to appear that quickly after transmission). But she will not have things back yet like Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, HIV and Hepatitis results, etc. so a doctor would not have told her she didn't acquire anything from the rape in her office visit. Perhaps she misunderstood.

avp07
Neophyte
Member # 27606

That's a great help. She won't report it, so I'll make sure to get her the hotline number. Thanks again.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.