Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SHOP TALK » S.E.X. » I Do & Don't Understand.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Do & Don't Understand.
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today after school I went with two of my friends to the chain bookstore B&N to see the book. I was really excited, because I really want the book, but since it will be awhile before I buy it, I wanted to see it for free. (Are library's carrying this book?) The first few seconds I was walking around looking at the sections, but then decided to ask the lady behind the counter. I asked her to look up the book by author, and when she asked me the name, I said yes. When I asked her to look up the author's name for the book for me to see if they had it in stores, she seemed happy that someone came up and asked for help. But when she said the book wasn't in stores because of the topic, she sounded, and gave me this look like it was bad or odd or something not good. I understand why she said the book wasn't in stores, but then, why because of that topic is the book not in stores. She says I can order it, I just can't buy a copy in the store already. So, why is the book not in the store?
Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really?

The reason must be mindless censorship. That is so annoying that an important book which could help a lot of people, hasn't got the equivalent exposure of hundreds of generic mass market paperbacks, with basically no aim but to sell.

The topic should make it MORE accessible.

I would be inclined to contact the company and ask them why. It's completely unfair to the author!

To whether it is in libraries I'd say that most libraries (correct me if I'm wrong) have access to any book - should they want it, so on requesting it they'd probably seek it out and it end up in their collection. I suppose it also depends on the size and whether the individual library has a stupid rule about the topic of their books.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually? For a big chain like B&N? Who I'm almost 100% certain HAVE educational, reference AND sex sections? I think you just dealt with a cruddy employee.

It IS possible the book wasn't in the store, that was probably the truth, but that's more likely the store hadn't received it into their inventory yet. Most bigger bookstores have the option that when something isn't in stock, that they can stock, that they will order it in for you for no extra cost, which is why the ordering option came up.

I would, however, second what Jacob said, only rather than contacting the company about having the book? I'd contact them about the way you were treated, even better if you remember the employee's name, but if you know which store you went to you can file a complaint and it should come up in the store.

(Or? If you have one near you, go to Borders [Razz] as far as I know, none of the stores have gotten the book in stock yet, I know we haven't in any of the Colorado stores, but they can place an order for you, and even ship it to your home for free if you don't want to come back to the store to pick it up once it gets in, and I know for a fact that Borders cares a TON about good customer service and responding to any customer's questions and needs - plus, if any employee treated you in Borders the way the employee in B&N did, and you called in a complaint? 100% sure it would come up with that employee, or with the entire stores, with much seriousness).

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the technical release date for the book is somewhere around May 22nd, so it wouldn't be surprising if you have to wait a few more weeks to find the book in the major chain stores.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:
I think the technical release date for the book is somewhere around May 22nd, so it wouldn't be surprising if you have to wait a few more weeks to find the book in the major chain stores.

It's only online right now?

The way the lady told me it wasn't in the store, made it seem like the book was a bad thing. Should I call the same B&N and ask them if they are going to carry the book in store when it will be in stores?

Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing she didn't actually know what she was talking about, honestly.

Right about now, the books should start showing up on bookstore shelves -- they're now available from online booksellers pretty much full-stop. However, as sarah mentioned, the official release date isn't until mid-May, because in some locations, it can take a while for books to get there, get listed, and get shelved.

But by all means, you can place a special order, and should any bookstore tell any of you they're not going to shelve the book because of it's topic (it's supposed to be shelved in health or sexual health, for the record), I suggest the following approach if you're feeling proactive:

1. Go to the health or sexual health bookshelf and grab a few other general sexuality/relationship/sexual health guides. Bring them back to whomever told you the book had a problematic topic and ask for an explanation.

2. Simply state that you think it's really important for the book to be shlved, especially since plenty of teens and young adults are scared enough about sex -- many will not have the cajones to ask for help or make a special order. You can ask for a suggestion card to put that in writing if you like.

Also, if you're buying at Barnes and Noble, their website has a tool for every listed book where you can input your sip code and see if and where copies of the books are shelved at branches close to you. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Thanks for the information. I called back the same B&N, and got a different lady. This time, this lady was nice the whole time without a weird tone to her voice, and said something different. I asked her when the book is released, will it be in this store, and she said no, because no placed orders for it.

I would order it online, but since it adds to the cost, I won't have enough. Because in MB, when we return are marching uniforms, we get are money back. $15 first day.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

You CAN still make a special order of ANY book to have delivered to your bookstore, you know. And it should never cost extra.

So, you can absolutely ring back and place a special order if you like.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

FYI, vegan, I checked with my publisher, and Barnes and Nobel entire ordered several hundred books for their shops.

So, it's still possible you're dealing with people just not knowing what they're talking about because the book hasn't been shelved yet. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI, the Barnes & Nobel near me has the book (finally!). It's currently shelved in the Sexuality section.

And if it's made it here, I'd guess you should be finding it in most of the bigger chains very soon (if it's not there already).

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Okay cool. I'm gonna check the website soon. I can't wait! I'll be able to get the book soon, because return dates for the MB uniform are next Monday - Wednesday.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.