Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SHOP TALK » S.E.X. » Bookstores, book tours & promo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bookstores, book tours & promo
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all!

I'm starting to try and plan book promotion over the next year.

You may or may not know that when it comes to book tours, it's on the author's own dime, so that means that I -- like pretty much anyone else these days -- am limited in where I go.

But, thanks to several other reasons I have to travel, and the flexibility I DO have, I will be hitting a few different cities and towns between April and October of this year.

So, I'd like to ask all of you who may be in any of these cities about local bookstores you like and know of, youth groups/GLBT groups, colleges and universities, the works, which I may NOT know of to do my best to hit as many bases as I can. Obviously, the bonus here is that you'd get to see me doin' my thang. [Smile]

So, for now, here are the places I am mostly positive I will be in sometime over the next eight months:
• Washington State
• Oregon
• San Francisco
• Vancouver
• Chicago and surrounding areas
• Cincinnati/Columbus, OH
• Minneapolis/ St. Paul & Duluth

And a maybe to Baltimore, Boston and D.C.

Ideas? Thanks!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, not to be biased or anything, but Brown has a phenomenally supportive and open GLBTQ community, as well as being really open about sexuality in general. They've brought sexuality speakers in before, and they have study groups called MSEX and FEMSEX for male and female sexuality. I'm not sure how the book tour thing works: do you need a sponsor? Because I have a friend in FEMSEX (I would be in it but I found out about it too late [Frown] next year for sure though!) and I can ask her to connect me to the organizer to chat... just throwin' that out there. Brown is in Providence, RI, so it's an easy 45 minute train ride from there to Boston. And of course, I would LOVE to hear you speak. [Smile]

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If 'Chicago and surrounding areas' includes metro Detroit, I could definitely hook you up with the GLBT people at my old high school. [Razz]

But that's way too far away. Sadly.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucys: thanks! Let me ask the publicity folks at my publisher about that per sponsorship, and I'll get back to you. I'm considering perhaps just taking a couple weeks to hit the east coast by train in the fall, so that could actually work out decently.

September: yeah, it really doesn't. And I confess that Detroit is one of those places that just depresses me so badly, it's not somewhere I'd make a point of going.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im so excited your coming somewhere in WA Heather :-P
I've always wanted to meet you *giggles* and I hella cant wait to get a signed copy of S.E.X :-D

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, haven't you already met her Elizabeth ? [Smile]

[ 03-05-2007, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any chance of making it to Ottawa, Toronto or Montreal Heather? [Big Grin] That would be absolutely awesome! lol

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, indeed, it would be really cool if she went to Montreal. But I don't even think I could get some free time to go so.... [Smile]

[ 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*squee* You're coming to San Francisco? Hot-dog! *does happy dance*

Alright, now that I've had my fangirl moment...

San Francisco is a pretty spiffy city in that you can find gay anything pretty much anywhere (especially if you live in the castro, like I used to...). There are a lot of LGBT-oriented bookstores, but I don't know that a lot of them really cater to the teen age group. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Black Oak Books. I'd marry it if it was human, honestly.

Hey, while you're in the San Francisco area, do you think you'll be stopping by Berkeley? Because (1) it's a lovely place, and (2) it's a lot easier for me to get to from where I'm living right now (selfish motives, I know). I'm pretty sure they've got a LGBT youth center there, too, but I don't know a whole lot about it.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'd love to be able to have time and the means to get to Montreal, period, because it's my fave province and one of my favorite friends lives there who I haven't had a chance to visit in much too long.

Alas, that plane fare on top of other fares is just too much right now. [Frown] Maybe next year.

BiGoddess, I should have known you were a 'friscan. [Smile] But yep: that should fit into the schedule, and it's the one place that connecting with venues won't be too hard b/c I do know most of them already. I'll see about Berkeley too, though: I can just grab the Bart there, no?

And Elizabeth, you're a big silly. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh, if only Los Angeles could be worked into there. 'frisco is a good 7-8 hour drive away.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(I confess, I cannot stand L.A. and avoid it like the plague. I won't even visit friends there. So, it's not even someplace I considered. Sorry!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose, what with Vancouver already on the itinerary, you'd consider coming to Victoria? Probably not....ah well, I'll just have to take a day off and get my butt over to Vancouver or down to Seattle!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

(Pssst Heather just a small thing to improve your geography skills. Montreal is a city, not a province.... Quebec is the province. [Smile] A bit like Seattle city being in the Washington state except Washington here is a state and not a province. [Wink] )

[ 03-06-2007, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Just a brain fart. [Smile] I do know Montreal is a city, just not yesterday, apparently. [Big Grin]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, I don't live in the city anymore. I'm in the suburbs now. But I'm a San Franciscan a heart, for sure.

Anyways, yeah. You can just hop on BART to get from San Francisco to Berkeley. You can get a round trip ticket from pretty much anywhere in the city for under ten dollars, so it's pretty reasonable.

You'll let us know when you're coming 'round, yes?

[ 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: BiGoddess ]

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cool87: Hey, haven't you already met her Elizabeth ?
I've been graced by her presence a few amazing times yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
And Elizabeth, you're a big silly. [Razz]

Yeah its the aries silliness in me, all Aries have it :-P

And Heather dont you know BART goes almost anywhere....cept space. (yet soon maybe it will!)

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! I'd love to come. . though I think I'd be too shy. XD
Still, I'm glad I live in SanFran. Is this promotional tour like a seminar of some kind or a book signing?

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather, I hope you can make it to the DC/VA/MD region at some point during your book promotion tour. (Be it first late summer/early Fall or next year so I can attend in person! [Smile] )
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, if you come to the DC area over the summer and then to Brown once school starts again, I might get to see you TWICE! That would rock so hard. [Razz]

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

East coast touring could really only happen for me in the fall. It's especially tricky because it's likely that at the same time I need to be doing book promotion, my partner's latest short film will be hitting the film circuit, so that makes scheduling for both of us tricky.

So, most likely, if I can do the east coast, it'll likely be over a couple of weeks in September or October.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
(I confess, I cannot stand L.A. and avoid it like the plague. I won't even visit friends there. So, it's not even someplace I considered. Sorry!)

i hate LA, too. but c'mon dearie, couldn't you help make this town suck just a little less?

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BiGoddess:
Alas, I don't live in the city anymore. I'm in the suburbs now. But I'm a San Franciscan a heart, for sure.

Anyways, yeah. You can just hop on BART to get from San Francisco to Berkeley. You can get a round trip ticket from pretty much anywhere in the city for under ten dollars, so it's pretty reasonable.

You'll let us know when you're coming 'round, yes?

Hit City Lights, then Pegasus in downtown Berkeley. Bonus points if Clay's working that day. That would give me plenty of reason to go back to Berkeley for a weekeend.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, this may be a very valid excuse to take some time off work this Summer and drive up to Oregon or Washington. Unless, of course, you can swing down closer to Colorado!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

'Fraid not, dailicious. Really, when you do book promo, the aim is just to hit the very biggest markets, and I'm afraid CO isn't on the map in that regard. You're generally aiming for the biggest cities and then the coasts.

quote:
i hate LA, too. but c'mon dearie, couldn't you help make this town suck just a little less?
Not unless you'll pay for my therapy after. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Plano, Richardson or Dallas(TX)? For colleges there are CCCCD in Plano. And UTD in Richardson.
Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I really can't add on extra places: bear in mind that isn't just about time (after all, I still have work that needs doing), but also about money. This girl lives lean as it is: most of the travel I'm doing for the book promotion outside my area is either paid for by having photo work scheduled in those places which pays my way, or part of family visits.

So, per responding here, it's really about venues within the areas I posted in the first post. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about that. I should of read better.
Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curiosity13
Neophyte
Member # 32841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiosity13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay! chicago! when do you think you would be visiting here? during the summer? spring? fall? (hopefully spring or fall...)
Posts: 21 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queer Power
Activist
Member # 22292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queer Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Cincinnati I would say Hobo Books, but they had a water-main break and were forced to close. In Lexington, Kentucky (just an hour and half away) there's Sqecial-Media which would probably be down for this event - http://www.sqecialmedia.com/

There's also a lgbtq library/meeting space opening in the next month or so at the University of Kentucky (in Lexington again) that could probably host you. A friend of mine is one of the people organizing it, and I can give you her contact privately.

There is a lgbtq center in Cincinnati on Hamilton Ave in Northside, but I don't know anyone involved or their contact info. I grew up in Cincinnati, and it was almost always closed whenever my friends and I wanted to hang out there.

[ 03-19-2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Queer Power ]

Posts: 52 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queer Power
Activist
Member # 22292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queer Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Minneapolis, I would recommend the Jack Pine Community Center - http://www.thejackpine.org/

It's a really rad space that has a big focus on being intergenenrational. From their site: "The Jack Pine Community Center is a collectively run, intergenerational free space committed to popular education, anti-oppression, and the fight for justice, liberation, and autonomy. We seek to foster self-expression, self-representation and radical activism by providing a family-friendly space for skill sharing, events, meetings and art."

In Baltimore, Red Emma's Bookstore & Coffee: http://www.redemmas.org/

Posts: 52 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oddly, in six years of living in Minneapolis, I had never heard of that space, even though I can picture exactly where it is. Crazy!

Thanks for the Cincy suggestions: given the way Cincy and the surrounding areas are (you're from there, I don't need to explain what I mean, I presume), I'm hoping to be able to do a good deal of promo and support while I'm there.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Queer Power
Activist
Member # 22292

Since the cities are close by each other, if you do come to Cincinnati, myself and others could also host an event for you in Lexington as well either at the Public Library (it's very easy for us to get rooms there) or the beforementioned lgbtq space at UK. The latter would enable us to tap into University money for promotion, but the former would be a more welcoming space (universities tend to attract only college students and graduates while public libraries are welcoming to almost everyone).

Trying to get something at the Cincinnati Public Library would be cool because the library system in that city ROCKS. It's seriously amazing.

I don't know what's going on with University of Cincinnati nowadays. When I was in highschool and after I dropped out I helped organize a conference there every year, and we were able to get University funding really easily for speakers and rooms and food and such. So there might be some student group that could do that with you, or the women's studies department or something. I forget her name, but a professor there is a fairly well known (or published anyway) feminist writer..

Edited to add: I just found the website to the LGBTQ Center in Cincy:
Here's the website to the

http://www.glbtcentercincinnati.com/

Again, I have no idea if they're good folks or not, but there they are.

[ 03-19-2007, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Queer Power ]

mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoted by Heather:

"yeah, it really doesn't. And I confess that Detroit is one of those places that just depresses me so badly, it's not somewhere I'd make a point of going."

Heather! You MUST come to Detroit. Seriously. I know that it is one of the most troubled cities in the country, and one of the most dangerous, but it is still an amazing place. There is so much there! I would even make the trip out to come see you there!! Not to mention, it is one of the most populated areas in the US, and that population needs some sex ed too [Smile] Besides, it's only a few hour drive from Chicago... especially if you're on the east side. And, you wouldn't even have to go into downtown if you didn't want. Even just to Livonia or Dearborn or Ecorse would work...

All I'm asking: consider it - at least...

[ 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: mellygirl ]

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.