Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SHOP TALK » S.E.X. » Have a question....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have a question....
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...about the book and what's in it?

Ask away!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darkfire456
Neophyte
Member # 27984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darkfire456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question. What kind of information about same sex relationships is in it? I'm just wondering since I identify as lesbian and most books like this steered towards people my age are usually about girl/guy relationships and sex.
Posts: 8 | From: waco, texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you asked!

The book is written to be 100% inclusive, applicable to people of ALL orientations.

So, the relationships section, for instance, addresses both same-sex and opposite-sex relationships. Things like STI assesments and safer sex instruction are about sexual activities, no matter who is engaging in them. The "popular mechanics" section, about all sorts of sexual activity addresses all orientations (so, for instance, even in discussing vaginal intercourse, it addresses everyone with a vagina in their sex life: for lesbian and same-sex partnered women, it talks about manual sex and strap-on use as intercourse).

And in the sexual orientation chapter -- written for everyone -- there is also some more specific address for those of us GLB's about coming out, about some particular issues in same-sex relationships, etc.

It was KEY to me to be able to not only write a book for everyone, but to also try and write the book I never had, because you're right, you're hard-pressed to find ANY inclusive address in not only YA sex books, but those for adults as well. This was, actually, one of the toughest challenges in getting a publisher to accept the book. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darkfire456
Neophyte
Member # 27984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darkfire456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's totally awesome Heather! I'm gonna go pre order for my copy right now. I can't thank you enough for writing a book that addresses all sexual orientations. Thanks again!
Posts: 8 | From: waco, texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey, I wanted one too! [Smile]

And it is pretty darn exciting, despite the fact that if I never see another third person, gender-neutral pronoun again, I'll die mighty happy.

Just be sure when you get it, that if it works for you, and you appreciate the inclusivity, to be vocal about it: to my publisher, on reviews, out and about, so that we can hopefully get more publishers willing to really let ALL of us be addressed!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the book feature anything about sexual abuse or recovery? And how similar is the book to the articles here on the site?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

quote:
Does the book feature anything about sexual abuse or recovery?
Sure does. There's a whole section of the Safe & Sound chapter (about sexual safety, for body and mind) about rape & sexual abuse, about dealing right after, about surviving, about helping friends survive, about prevention. There's also another area of the book which discusses law as it pertains to sexuality where rape and sexual abuse are addressed. [Smile]

Per the similarity of the book to the articles, it's similar in some respects, but not in others. All in all, the book is far more in-depth than the site, and includes a lot of things we don't have on site: a LOT on relationships, a section on sexual "mechanics," gender and sexual identity issues, body image, a LOT on reproductive options, the works.

But too, there are some familiar faces, like the sexual readiness checklist, for instance, and the STI appendices.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

(Just an addition: questions/discussion about the book can also be had at its Amazon page here.

Just scroll down, and you'll see the link for discussion.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.