Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SHOP TALK » S.E.X. » Sexuality books you like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexuality books you like?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey y'all.

Just finishing up my combined bibliography and resource list for the book, and have a few more days available to work on it before I need to get it to my editor.

I'm (obviously) pretty well read when it comes to what's out there book-wise on sexuality, young adult sexuality, and related topics. But even a bookworm like myself can miss some gems in passing.

So, do any of you have any favorites in the following areas -- which you think are friendly to a 14-22 year old readership -- on the following subjects?

• sexuality in general
• sexual anatomy/puberty/body image
• gender issues
• queer/GLBT youth
• rape and abuse recovery
• pregnancy and parenting
• safer sex/contraception
• young adult relationships

If so, want to let me know about them? Thanks!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked Deal With It. It was very informative, and it was written in a way that makes it accessable.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that book a lot too: the women at gURL have always been awesome.

Already on my list, but glad to have a second opinion! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia1041
Neophyte
Member # 31647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julia1041     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an oldie, but Our Bodies, Ourselves has always been informative and empowering. A word to the wise, however, is to recieve a newer edition, considering that the original is a few decades off.

A book I like that deals with queer sexuality is Rainbow Boys and its sequels. Although it is a novel, the book confronts a lot of issues regarding growing up when you're gay and growing into your sexuality, including an important lesson (and subplot) about using protection.

--------------------
Love and hugs,
Julia

Posts: 10 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey thanks, Julia.

Didn't know about the second, and I am also including a fiction/novel list, so that's awesome!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first book that my parents gave me about puberty and sexuality was The What's Happening to my body book for girls. It is a good book, but it is for a younger age devision, in my opinion.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

That's really helpful: there's a section of the resource list for parents or big brothers or sisters that expressly list books more appropriate for younger readers.

Thanks!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

abyssmall
Neophyte
Member # 31775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abyssmall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Doing it" ---title sounds crude but its really good/entertaining/compassionately written. I think it's by Melvin Burgess. It's about a couple of british teenagers (male) and it deals with body image issues (which usually is presented from a female standpoint, but in this book it's a guy who's insecure), relationships etc.
Posts: 4 | From: boston | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay Wiseman's SM 101

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Actually Ikeren, when I did the biblio/resource list, sparing some references to studies, I wanted to have one solid BDSM book in the list that I felt okay about.

And that was the one. [Smile] )

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where Women Have No Doctor, it has other doctor medical writtings in it, but when it came to sexuality it's a good book.
Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not surprised, having read it cover to cover three times now, and found it informative, consistant, chock full of good advice, safe, and highly accessable.

[ 12-21-2006, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Ikeren ]

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents gave me a book when I was about 11 that I think was called Finding Our Way (Who we are, what we want, how we can get it) . .I think the authors were Allison Abner and Linda Villarosa. . ..I think. I really don't trust my memory on this one, since I can't find the book anywhere online and it's been a long time since I looked at it. . I'm not sure where my copy went.

But I remember it being a really good teen sexuality book that dealt with the usual sex ed, but also pregnancy and parenting, stds and protection, abuse and abusive relationships, GLBT issues, rape, etc. .and had a lot of first-hand stories written by various teens included as well as informative diagrams in the sex-ed section. I wish I knew what happened to that book. .

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey Gwaihir: meant to tell you that your book is buyable right here at Amazon, where there are several used and new copies. So, if you want it again, looks like you're in luck. [Smile]

Looks seriously awesome, btw. Pity I couldn't have found a copy here before doing the resource list!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra

In the category of rape and abuse.

Just for being brutally honest. And the insight into psychological survival has really helped me to deal with things I've faced and made me value many parts of my experiences in life.

It's one of my absolute favourite books, and it makes me cry. Which in itself therapeutic catharsis.

I haven't actually read much at all on the topic of sexuality, apart from maybe pure biology books.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Just for the record, the resource list has already been turned in, so. But no reason to stop talking about books!)

Penguin, I agree with you: that is an incredible, intense book. One I very much appreciate having in the world myself.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh, if there's a fiction list, it should definitely have "empress of the world", by sara ryan on it.

it's a really nice little romantic-but-honest kinda account of a teenage archeology geek falling in love with a girl and figuring out her own general sexual identity kinda stuff.

and the author is the nicest lady ever. i sent her this crazy email at four in the morning once, and she sent me a comic book.

[ 02-01-2007, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: plain milyeh ]

Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flygirl5347
Neophyte
Member # 32553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flygirl5347     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH EM GEE! Cunt! I love that book... love love LOVE it. It is a book about feminism and how women can embrace themselves. Not only does it go into topics such as birth control, sex, and abusive relationships... it also went extensively into self image, the value of respect for other women, and embracing our bodies. I am crazy about it. Some of the advice is a little wacky but it is great esspecially for a gal who once had a low self asteem. It really helped me to embrace and enjoy myself as a woman.
Posts: 7 | From: TX | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annaks
Neophyte
Member # 32774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annaks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty Dodson has been my "mother of masturbation." (Someone else said that but it's true for me too). I highly reccomend Sex for One and her newest book Orgasms for Two...

--------------------
anna k. s.

Posts: 4 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annaks
Neophyte
Member # 32774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annaks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good general sex info:

Guide to Getting it On
Nerve's Guide to the New Sexual Universe
Good Vibrations Guide to Sex

Becoming Orgasmic- currently helping me figure things out. Maybe for older age group

Sexual Diversity\Gender
Pomosexuals (published by Cleis press on the "Post-Modern Sexuals." It gives voices to people from outside the sexual spectrum.
Kate Bornstein: Gender Outlaw and My Gender Workbook

--------------------
anna k. s.

Posts: 4 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annaks
Neophyte
Member # 32774

The ideas keep coming... I'm unsure of the age range for these. Perhaps for those who have already done some discovery...

On polyamory and excellent in helping address
"How many people would i like to be involved with at once?"

The Ethical Slut

On Learning about S\M and power dynamics in a sexual relationship (for tops, bottoms, and in-betweens)

The Loving Dominant

--------------------
anna k. s.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.