Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » period no show- 2 Neg tests - what's going on?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period no show- 2 Neg tests - what's going on?
slipperysoap
Neophyte
Member # 107471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slipperysoap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone.

I have always been rather irregular on my cycle, however after losing some weight and adapting a healthier life style awhile back, I got pretty regular.

My periods have looked something like this

Aug 6
Sep 9
Oct 13
Nov 13
Dec 22
Jan 22

January 22nd is the last time i saw my period. I've been tracking and according to the tracker I have 34 days in my average cycle which means i'm 10 days late now (or 13 days if I consider 30 day cycle).

When my boyfriend returned to town we attempted to have sex but it was mostly just some frottage, as when he attempted to enter the condom broke and we stopped. There was no ejaculation but I'm sure I was exposed to pre-ejaculate. So because of this, when I was late, I took a pregnancy test in the afternoon after I was a week late - negative, I figured my urine could have been dilute since i took it after I had urinated a few hours before. I went to the doctor the following day (8 days late) and she also took one and it was negative.

My question is: Should i trust the results of the pregnancy tests and rest assured its not that? Should I maybe test again? My periods never been this late so I'm a bit psyched out and getting paranoid. If its not pregnancy, what could it be? I haven't made any drastic changes in my lifestyle. I had a minor cold around the time when I should have gotten my periods (not sure if that affects ).
I feel no symptoms besides occasional twinges and cramps in my lower abdomen and i'm having some digestion issues and super bloating.

I've read most of the pages on here - I know i'm at moderate risk of pregnancy from the pre-ejaculate contact but I feel the risk is even lower having gotten those negative pregnancy results. Should I still worry? Or should I lean towards considering other options as to why i'm late.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks for you time!

Posts: 7 | From: in space | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the dates you gave for your previous periods, the longest cycle there was 39 days. At the moment, you're on 42: that's not really a meaningful difference. It looks like this is simply a slightly longer cycle than you've had in the last few months, and it's clearly not out of character with the cycle lengths you've been having.

Your period isn't actually 10 days late. To consider lateness, you need to take the last day you might expect your period - that's not the average day it's been coming, it's the last day it might be expected. On the dates you listed above, a reasonable estimate of "last expected day" might be 39 days. The menstrual cycle naturally varies a bit anyway, so to consider actual lateness, you then add 5 days to the last expected day. So for you, a reasonable estimate of when your period becomes late might be 44 days. So, your period isn't even late yet!

Even if your period becomes late, it's still absolutely no big deal. Late periods - and even completely missed periods - do happen occasionally, for all kinds of reasons, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all. You can find more info about that here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Pregnancy tests are very reliable if they're done according to the instructions and/or by a healthcare provider - so yes, you can trust those negative results.

If a condom breaks, it's nearly always because of being put on incorrectly, incorrect storage, or lack of lubricant. If you want to minimise the chance of breakage in the future, some of the tips here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual might help you out.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slipperysoap
Neophyte
Member # 107471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slipperysoap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information, Redskies!

One more thing, considering the condom break, do you think its necessary to just test again when (if) I'm actually late (past the 44 days)?
Also, I'm just reading stories of women never testing positive on pregnancy tests but still turning up pregnant. I'd love some insight from experts like you, but from what I understand those cases are REALLY rare. Is that right?

Posts: 7 | From: in space | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends how soon after a possible risk you took the other tests. If it was relatively soon, there's no harm in retesting a week or so later if a period still hasn't shown up, just to make sure. If it was several weeks after a risk, there's no particular need to retest, unless seeing that negative result is the thing you need in order to stop worrying.

Someone being far into a pregnancy and repeatedly testing negative on correctly used pregnancy tests is not a thing that's going to happen.

We have thorough information on pregnancy tests here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests, which should give you the whys of that.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.