Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Washing hands after anal fingering

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Washing hands after anal fingering
zipzone
Neophyte
Member # 109979

Icon 5 posted      Profile for zipzone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love fingering my anus and smelling my fingers
soon afterwards. The smell of anus is so arousing. But I find washing my hands every time after I insert finger in my anus very tiresome because I love to finger my anus every now and then! Is it normal if I go about my day to day activities without washing my hands after anal fingering? Or would it cause any health problems? Or would it be something dirty?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fecal matter is full of bacteria, so no, not washing hands after any contact with it, or traces of it, as there always will be with the anus, is not a smart health move at all. Not for you, and not for anyone else who may have contact with your hands, or anything you touched with them, after not washing them.

Washing hands after toileting or other contact with any part of the genitals is one of the things that makes the biggest difference when it comes to public health.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzone
Neophyte
Member # 109979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
Fecal matter is full of bacteria, so no, not washing hands after any contact with it, or traces of it, as there always will be with the anus, is not a smart health move at all. Not for you, and not for anyone else who may have contact with your hands, or anything you touched with them, after not washing them.

Washing hands after toileting or other contact with any part of the genitals is one of the things that makes the biggest difference when it comes to public health.

Heather, thanks for this helpful tip. I have a doubt though. By not allowing ourselves to freely touch our private parts like anus, genitals, etc.,whenever we want, are we not restricting ourselves? Are we not denying ourselves to be able to lead a free and full life? Is this not something burdensome?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some very basic restrictions are not a bad thing. They ensure everyone's safety and health. We shouldn't engage in any sexual behaviour in front of anyone who has not chosen to be a part of or see that, as that is a violation of their consent. In private, or with consenting people, there isn't a restriction on touching oneself: there's only a requirement to wash hands afterwards so that we do not risk spreading harmful bacteria to ourselves and others. That is not burdensome - washing hands is easy. There are also serious consequences of not doing it: there are many serious and deadly diseases which exist and are transmitted in places with few or no sanitary facilities, solely or primarily because of the lack of sanitation.

NOT washing hands after contact with faeces or with traces of faecal matter places an unreasonable burden on everyone's health and on society's public health, and the spread of (easily preventable!) disease would most certainly restrict everyone from leading a free and full life.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzone
Neophyte
Member # 109979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Redskies:
Some very basic restrictions are not a bad thing. They ensure everyone's safety and health. We shouldn't engage in any sexual behaviour in front of anyone who has not chosen to be a part of or see that, as that is a violation of their consent. In private, or with consenting people, there isn't a restriction on touching oneself: there's only a requirement to wash hands afterwards so that we do not risk spreading harmful bacteria to ourselves and others. That is not burdensome - washing hands is easy. There are also serious consequences of not doing it: there are many serious and deadly diseases which exist and are transmitted in places with few or no sanitary facilities, solely or primarily because of the lack of sanitation.

NOT washing hands after contact with faeces or with traces of faecal matter places an unreasonable burden on everyone's health and on society's public health, and the spread of (easily preventable!) disease would most certainly restrict everyone from leading a free and full life.

Is it really true deadly diseases spread this way? Primates and other animals freely touch their private parts. They even lick their private parts. Certainly they don't wash their hands after doing it. And they don't seem to suffer from any deadly diseases! Most of these bacteria reside inside our own body, so they may be friendly bacteria actually? As you pointed out, washing hands is easy no doubt, but I like touching my private parts every now and then. On this count, I could end up washing my hands a minimum of 10-15 times a day! Now that's burdensome, isn't it?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, really. If in doubt, have a chat with your general doctor about this, or go spend some time at the CDC or WHO website.

Honestly, if you think handwashing is as burdensome as, say, living with Hepatitis, or a case of e coli or salmonella, I do not know what to tell you. You can also look at the public health of people in places without good sanitation and clean water to wash with to get an idea of just how burdensome this can be.

But my feeling is that saying handwashing is a burden compared to the many public and personal health hazards involved when people do not, or cannot wash hands is kind of like saying wearing a seatbelt is a burden, but getting your head smashed in from a car accident when without one is not. Maybe you feel handwashing is burdensome, but if so, this is a matter of what the greater and lesser burdens are, both to you and to anyone else you interact with.

[ 04-06-2014, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many types of bacteria, and some bacteria found in humans' lower intestinal tracts are definitely Not friendly anywhere else in the body. If transferred to other parts of the body, those bacteria cause problems and illness.

A person should wash their hands after toileting and before preparing, handling or eating food. 10-15 times a day, or more, does not sound unreasonable or unusual.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzone
Neophyte
Member # 109979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
Yes, really. If in doubt, have a chat with your general doctor about this, or go spend some time at the CDC or WHO website.

Honestly, if you think handwashing is as burdensome as, say, living with Hepatitis, or a case of e coli or salmonella, I do not know what to tell you. You can also look at the public health of people in places without good sanitation and clean water to wash with to get an idea of just how burdensome this can be.

But my feeling is that saying handwashing is a burden compared to the many public and personal health hazards involved when people do not, or cannot wash hands is kind of like saying wearing a seatbelt is a burden, but getting your head smashed in from a car accident when without one is not. Maybe you feel handwashing is burdensome, but if so, this is a matter of what the greater and lesser burdens are, both to you and to anyone else you interact with.

Hmmmm...this bacteria issue sure is tricky, Heather! I just read this article: Faecal bacteria related article

According to this article, good bacteria in faeces actually help fight chronic diseases! So I'm still a lot puzzled about this issue...

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzone
Neophyte
Member # 109979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Redskies:
There are many types of bacteria, and some bacteria found in humans' lower intestinal tracts are definitely Not friendly anywhere else in the body. If transferred to other parts of the body, those bacteria cause problems and illness.

A person should wash their hands after toileting and before preparing, handling or eating food. 10-15 times a day, or more, does not sound unreasonable or unusual.

Ok...assuming bacteria is such a big threat...apart from that, what I'm concerned about is the smell of the faeces...I read somewhere that some chemicals in faeces cause this foul smell..But also in the same faeces, there is another chemical that is used for making perfumes!
This chemical has a pleasant smell...perhaps this is what makes smelling the anus so sexually arousing?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't begin to tell you, especially since, like anything olfactory, there is no one scent all people enjoy or find stimulate sexual feelings, and what one person finds arousing, another is totally turned off by.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That article is about treating one particular problem. You will have noticed, too, that the suggested treatment involves the matter and bacteria being placed directly into the gut, where it is needed, and NOT being spread around wherever it happens to end up, including into any other parts of the patient's body, where it would be harmful to them.

Faecal bacteria is only "good" when it is in the lower intestinal tract. It is harmful elsewhere. The spreading and transfer of faecal bacteria remains unequivocally a bad thing, and it remains a fact that it causes and transmits a long list of serious and unpleasant illnesses, and is therefore a basic risk to health.

As Heather suggested earlier, if you want to understand this better, please read some of the information on the CDC and WHO websites. You will likely see very quickly that illness due to poor sanitation is one of The major problems the world is struggling with. That is not a thing we want to invite into our lives when we have any choice about it.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzone
Neophyte
Member # 109979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have to wash my hands every time I enjoy playing with my private parts? Even if it means washing hands 40-50 times a day?! Would that not become a sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzone
Neophyte
Member # 109979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And also, I find on the web so many teens playing with themselves liberally, immensely enjoying rubbing their private parts...How many of these teens bother to wash their hands afterwards? I mean..is it something PRACTICAL to do? Washing hands every now and then? I'm still skeptical...
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you do need to wash your hands every time after you touch your genital or anal area.

You can either choose to wash your hands that frequently or to touch your genital or anal area less frequently. Washing your hands that frequently for a reason would not be obsessive-compulsive because there would be a realistic need to wash your hands each time you do.

If you feel that it would be difficult for you to choose to touch yourself less often, or that you need to touch yourself so often, that can indicate a compulsive behaviour. If you feel that might be describing what's going on for you here, the best thing we can suggest is to go for an assessment with a mental healthcare provider.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This really is all the more we are going to have to say about this: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodies/the_simple_and_underrated_art_of_washing_your_hands

Handwashing because of OCD is very different from handwashing for hygiene. Suggesting they are the same is...well, it's honestly ridiculous, and also pretty dismissive of people suffering from OCD.

Honestly, if you want to have your hands in your butt all day (though how that's possible 40-50 times a day while still even having the time to earn your keep and have a rest of the life confounds my mind a bit) and not wash them, we can't make you, and that is your choice.

All we can do is advise you of the risks that presents to your health and even more so, to the health of others, and suggest you engage in basic hygiene. But please don't ask us to argue with you about it (particularly since you are also far outside the age group we need to dedicate most of our time serving, as that is primarily why we are here): you know what our suggestion is, now you just get to take it or leave it.

[ 04-06-2014, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

  New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3