Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Painful sex + lack of interest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painful sex + lack of interest
Ysabel22
Neophyte
Member # 48361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ysabel22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
So it has been about 10 months since I last posted on here. I am back because my problem has not gotten better and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Basically, my problems are that 1) I have very intense burning at the entrance of my vagina, regardless of the amount of lubrication, type of condom etc. during any type of sex (including intercourse or using a vibrator) 2) I have absolutely no interest in sex anymore because it has hurt so much in the past, and it is not enjoyable at all.

I am 21 now, have had the same partner for 3 years and I have no STI's. I am still using NuvaRing. Since my last post, I went to see my doctor. When I told her about this issue she prescribed me with premarin estrogen cream to put inside my vagina as she said that the lining of my vagina may be thinning due to use of birth control. This cream lessens the burning slightly, but not by much and sex is still very uncomfortable even if I use this cream daily.

My partner is extremely understanding about this, but it has been going on for over 2 years now and I feel that it is affecting our relationship a bit. Mostly though, it is affecting my self-esteem and I do not feel that this is "normal" for someone to have to go through.

I'm not sure what advice you can give, but I'm feeling quite helpless about this whole situation. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Posts: 25 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ysabel,

This does sound really frustrating. Did you ever check back in with your doctor and let her know that the estrogen only worked a little bit? She may have some other ideas of things to try.

One thought I had is that sex can encompass a lot of things; you can be sexual with someone without involving your genitals if you want to just take a break from that for a while. Are there things you and your partner enjoy that would provide sexual intimacy while avoiding the activities that cause you pain? Maybe that's something the two of you could talk about so that you don't feel like you have to avoid physical intimacy altogether until this gets sorted out.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.