Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » BV and Masturbation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BV and Masturbation
Emilbee
Neophyte
Member # 48737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emilbee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been dealing with a bout of bacterial vaginosis (confirmed by a doctor today; I've been given a prescription for antibiotics). It was likely induced by the personal stress I've been dealing with lately, for which I am seeing a counselor.

However I'm in the habit of masturbating before bed almost every night. Is there any way this could worsen my symptoms? I also have a clitoral vibrator that I use on occasion, but I'm not sure if that would irritate my vulva even more (my main symptom is itching/burning). Should I stick to using my hands for now, if I masturbate at all?

I just thought I'd check in here before proceeding. Thank you very much!

Posts: 23 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, when it comes to what irritates you while you have BV, for the most part, if it doesn't feel irritating, at the time and the next morning? It's probably not. If it does? It probably is.

I'd just be sure, though, you're covering that toy with a condom each time. If you don't or haven't been, since it likely can't be boiled, it may well be harboring bacteria which could put you in an endless cycle of these infections. If you're using hands instead, just be sure to wash them before and after.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emilbee
Neophyte
Member # 48737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emilbee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much! I've been pretty careful about tracking my symptoms, so I think I'm in the clear [Smile] I haven't used the toy anytime recently, so I don't think bacteria is an issue in that regard, but thank you for bringing that up because that's something I honestly would not have thought of.
Posts: 23 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you can't boil it, and you don't cover it, then it's pretty much always going to be harboring some bacteria. Some of them will just die off, sure, but others can live in porous surfaces (like plastics) for almost ever.

So, general rule of thumb with toys is if it can't be boiled before use, you want to always keep it covered.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.